Sewing portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing portfolio

Last edited by Poeticdevices; 08-24-2020, 02:06 PM.

Last edited by Poeticdevices; 08-24-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Do you sew to sell things or just for yourself? My mom was always sewing stuff for us. She'd buy and trade patterns with family and friends. This was back in the '70s mind you. Sometimes she'd take a pattern she had bought, trace it on newspaper and cut it out to give to people. She was quite talented, my mom.
      Last edited by tumbling.dice; 07-04-2020, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post
        Do you sew to sell things or just for yourself? My mom was always sewing stuff for us. She's buy and trade patterns with family and friends. This was back in the '70s mind you. Sometimes she's take a pattern she had bought, trace it on newspaper and cut it out to give to people. She was quite talented, my mom.
        Your mom sounds like an awesome lady. I wasnt around back then but I've been told that as soon as fabric prices shot up that's when the masses flocked to ready-wear, because buying your own fabric didn't make sense anymore. It used to be normal to sew your own stuff. I sew just for myself. I'm tall, so a lot of measurements don't fit me at all. I got tired of it so I started sewing stuff myself. It's been... Very complicated, but worth it when things actually work out 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Poeticdevices View Post

Your mom sounds like an awesome lady. I wasnt around back then but I've been told that as soon as fabric prices shot up that's when the masses flocked to ready-wear, because buying your own fabric didn't make sense anymore. It used to be normal to sew your own stuff. I sew just for myself. I'm tall, so a lot of measurements don't fit me at all. I got tired of it so I started sewing stuff myself. It's been... Very complicated, but worth it when things actually work out 😁
          I had to find this and scan it into my PC, but I thought you might like it. This was the last picture taken of my mom and sister from 1977. Anyway, mom made both of those dresses using patterns and her Singer sewing machine. Not great image quality, all these old photos are beginning to fade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mom-and-Shelley.png
Views:	72
Size:	575.3 KB
ID:	7358

Comment

• tumbling.dice
            tumbling.dice commented
            Editing a comment
            Poeticdevices I'm glad you like it!

• Jessica
            Jessica commented
            Editing a comment
            Dice! your mother was so beautiful. that is a lovely picture. Your sister has the same eyes as you.

• tumbling.dice
            tumbling.dice commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! J Ruth

Old Pics Are Priceless......

Cheers Glen.

Comment

• tumbling.dice
            tumbling.dice commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm trying to scan them and save them to disc before they are lost. But there are literally thousands of them and they are in absolutely no order at all.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            tumbling.dice on the flip side, you have pictures while some people don't!

I feel like I mentioned this on HF before, but my MIL (mother in law) is also so amazing with sewing. It inspired me to try myself finally. That was years ago. I sadly never got very good at it and had to give it up when my craft room got turned into a spare bedroom. The rooms are just too small for sewing tables and the projects, so I used the excuse to quit. Also, our local fabric store has some rude staff too, so another reason for quitting sewing and all the needle arts atm. (Also knit and crochet) Technically, I still have a knit WIP,...and a crochet WIP (literally just remembered that one) but will run out of yarn soon...if I ever get back to them. Sigh! I'm enjoying writing atm though.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            That's funny that so many people have a mom that sews or taught them to sew, now that I think about it no one in my family really has a hobby or interest beyond sports and video games

What is up with these craft store ladies being so rude?? Orison on hf and I were talking about that too. He said he just doesn't go in anymore because they're unhelpful and mean. But SOME of them are actually nice.

Oh don't even get me started about WIP, I've got like 6 things I need to finish and I apparently don't have the focus or interest to do it

Fae (I'm too lazy to quote right now lol), I actually had to kinda teach myself sewing. I mean, I got a few tips here and there, but the main part was on me. There are some sewers in the family, but they either lived too far away or I didn't know about it at the time... or was just to young. However, I did have a couple of aunts teach me the basics of crochet when I was little which was great to have that background.

yeah, very strange with the craft store clerks. Same here with good ones and bad ones. Just not worth it...well, actually, H is a bit more bothered by it than me, and it's really a shame because these things are best purchased in person, but I have avoided it. I'll have to think of something though, because I'm not sure my eyes will be too happy if I keep writing so much! Haha! Even if the needle arts are close up, at least there is no screen light to make it worse. :P

Comment

fae I would love to see pictures of some of your work

I've thought about taking up sewing. I can get very specific in my taste in clothes and its hard to find what I want in stores...in my price range anyways

Comment

• Fun
              Fun commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, of course I'd like to see your work too, Fae. And you too, Mel. I only really have one decent project. I'll see if I can find that pic again sometime.

Last edited by Poeticdevices; 08-24-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Lynnbrown
              Lynnbrown commented
              Editing a comment
              Stranger things have happened.

Last edited by Poeticdevices; 08-24-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Lynnbrown
              Lynnbrown commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm commenting here because I KNOW something about sewing...and that is damn fantastic, Fae!!! Seriously. Those ruffles that you have so skillfully arranged in a type of half wrap-around way is HARD AS SHIT TO DO!!! For real. I cannot find the words to tell you how impressed I am. Shoulders and getting a neck good and professional looking are NOT easy. But I'm still reeling over what a fine (and difficult) design you crafted and sewed right up! It suits you so well.

So this dress was $8 per meter I think, I only used a meter of fabric. I also managed to find lining like fabric for under $3, my first time lining an entire garment. It has bust and back darts. All hems are finished, which I don't usually do. Had to fill the bobbin about 3 times because I used a lot of thread. Pretty proud of the outcome

Comment

Last edited by Poeticdevices; 08-24-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

/

Comment

• Lynnbrown
                  Lynnbrown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  freaking awesome

Comment

• mallyboppa
                  mallyboppa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love the colour of that skirt !
                  I would love a telecaster guitar in blue but with a paisley print (you can buy them )
              Working...
              X