a TED talk about "owning your face"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a TED talk about "owning your face"

not relevant, but recently i saw someone say that "they always describe women as mothers but never men as fathers", so it stood out to me that he was described that way. anyway it's a good message about faces. i see beauty differently than i did ten years ago, and some perfect faces are very boring.

Beautiful people are by far treated better in society than uglies. Attractive people in the service industry get more tips than the plain ones, for example. There's not a lot we can do to fix what humans are attracted to. Especially since it's in our evolutionary instinct to be attracted to certain traits deemed beautiful. The Body Positivity Movement is a lost cause. As it tries to dictate that everyone is beautiful no matter their shape or size; this is wrong. You cannot dictate what other people are supposed to find attractive.

That guy in the video no doubt had a rough upbringing because his face is odd. Not even the body positivity movement can save him. I feel sorry for him as he got dealt a bad hand at birth. His face would likely scare a child. Yet when I see a person with a deformed face, I try hard not to judge them negatively. Definitely have to admire his confidence for being the owner of a malformed face though.

Comment

Interesting TedX.

Had me guessing where his story was gonna go.
      He had a very good point I took away from all of it.

Take away all make up, all haircuts, all plastic surgery, all botox, anything else you can think of to make any of us look more attractive and what you have left is everyone in the world is just a human in natural beautiful form.

I think I get the overall feel of the OP.

Comment

I thought the guy got better looking the longer he spoke Just shows how superficial we can be at times
        Jessica Thanks I really enjoyed watching that

Comment

• Jessica
          Jessica commented
          Editing a comment
          i found that, too!

Originally posted by 6-eyed View Post
        You cannot dictate what other people are supposed to find attractive.

That guy in the video no doubt had a rough upbringing because his face is odd. Not even the body positivity movement can save him.
        I looked up a brief biography of this guy. He's a successful journalist and writer. He's also married. It doesn't really seem like he needs saving.

Also in terms of dictating what others find attractive...this gave me a little chuckle because beauty ideals change over time and are dictated by society. What we find visually attractive often is conditioned and learned
        Last edited by Meliai; 04-06-2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Beautiful people are by far treated better in society than uglies.
          As evidenced by your humanization of attractive folks by calling them beautiful people, as opposed to calling unattractive people, simply, uglies.
          The Body Positivity Movement is a lost cause. As it tries to dictate that everyone is beautiful no matter their shape or size; this is wrong. You cannot dictate what other people are supposed to find attractive.
          Saying that people of different shapes and sizes are not attractive by default literally is dictating what other people are supposed to find attractive. How do you not see the contradictory statement you just made?

Comment

Beautiful people are by far treated better in society than uglies. Attractive people in the service industry get more tips than the plain ones, for example. There's not a lot we can do to fix what humans are attracted to. Especially since it's in our evolutionary instinct to be attracted to certain traits deemed beautiful. The Body Positivity Movement is a lost cause. As it tries to dictate that everyone is beautiful no matter their shape or size; this is wrong. You cannot dictate what other people are supposed to find attractive.

That guy in the video no doubt had a rough upbringing because his face is odd. Not even the body positivity movement can save him. I feel sorry for him as he got dealt a bad hand at birth. His face would likely scare a child. Yet when I see a person with a deformed face, I try hard not to judge them negatively. Definitely have to admire his confidence for being the owner of a malformed face though.
            I used to describe myself as shallow, when it came to judging other people's looks. I wasn't proud of it, or ashamed of it, I just felt like I saw that in myself and could accept and admit to it.

Over the last few years, I've noticed a change in the way I view people.. partly maybe "body positivity" stuff.. partly falling in love with someone so much older than me that his physical ageing was apparent.. which has totally transformed how I observe my own ageing too. I don't think this stuff is set in stone, even for each individual. It sounds cheesy, but I really do feel like I see beauty in most people. And if I don't, it's because they're behaving in an ugly way rather than the way they look. Like Mally said, I actually found myself thinking he looked better as I listened to him.

So if my perception can change, and like Mel pointed out, society's standards have changed over time.. then yeah.. it isn't set in stone. It's not about it "being dictated" to you, no.. it's about encouraging people to constantly re-examine what it IS that is forming their own perceptions.

Feeling like.. "oh I am this or that, just because I am. I think this just because I do. It is this way, because it is" = a sign someone hasn't ever looked too deeply at themselves.

Also it isn't just about people who are "ugly". I don't think I am ugly, but there is stuff I would change about my face if I had magic powers to do so. I think that would go for a lot of people. Watching this made me rethink that, and think about trying to actually LIKE those things rather than just tolerate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete's Draggun View Post
              Interesting TedX.

Had me guessing where his story was gonna go.
              He had a very good point I took away from all of it.

Take away all make up, all haircuts, all plastic surgery, all botox, anything else you can think of to make any of us look more attractive and what you have left is everyone in the world is just a human in natural beautiful form.

I think I get the overall feel of the OP.
              right.. and I think he was saying it's fine to use those things, or make any choice you like about how you alter your appearance.. but that it should be YOUR choice.. not because you feel you have to.

I stopped wearing nail polish in about 2014 I think? because I didn't like what it was doing to the quality of my nails. When I first stopped, my fingers actually looked wrong to me.. not just unattractive but kind of ..weird. Then after some amount of time, it began to look normal, okay, and now I find it beautiful. So the feeling that I had to wear nail polish didn't come from me, it wasn't my choice.

I've tried it out with not shaving/waxing my legs and nope.. lol.. never get used to that. I hate it : ) So I wax them, and don't feel that is because I HAVE to. I want to.

I don't judge people for wearing make up, nail polish, whatever they do with body hair etc. but it makes me sad how many women feel they HAVE to do certain things.. it's not Free.

Comment

• Pete's Draggun
                Pete's Draggun commented
                Editing a comment
                I understand a little bit more about the message that the speaker was trying to convey through you articulating your personal experiences.

This thread definitely got me thinking perspectives.

Thank you for starting this thread and your multiple posts.

Beautiful people are by far treated better in society than uglies.
              Would you believe that some people go out of their way to make things difficult for attractive people because they think the attractive one has it so easy? What if that happened to you all the time, every day? There's a positive and negative to every aspect of humanity. People think that it's easier to be attractive, that's all projection. Everyone has their own problems, just some people are told to shut up about it because no one cares. That's another problem attractive people have. No one wants to hear them complain about anything because they're perceived as having an easier life

Comment

I enjoy my face. I wouldn't say I'm handsome, but I don't mind.

People also just have an aura. I have kind of an odd one. Some people think it's amusing; others are offput.

Comment

Easily the most important thing is the heart. Emotional quality.

Comment

I think the point of the body positivity movement is to make people feel more beautiful themselves, not to force other people to find you beautiful. And, you know, some people think confidence is attractive

Comment

Originally posted by Youfreeme View Post

I think the point of the body positivity movement is to make people feel more beautiful themselves, not to force other people to find you beautiful. And, you know, some people think confidence is attractive
                      The body positivity movement is demanding society to change their view on their own preferences, based on the insecurities of fat people

Never will anyone find obesity attractive. Sorry

Comment

Some people are just ugly. They're ugly, fat, riddled with acne or some other disgusting affliction. Shouldn't people be okay with being ugly? Someone has to be. What's wrong with that? Just be ugly and own it. No need to wallow about it

Comment

Originally posted by Verbe View Post

The body positivity movement is demanding society to change their view on their own preferences, based on the insecurities of fat people

Never will anyone find obesity attractive. Sorry
                          Yeah, I understand encouraging people to like themselves, but I think the “fat is healthy” thing is dangerous and deceptive. You can be overweight and not hate yourself, that is fine. But you shouldn’t be complacent with being obese, it is simply not a healthy look. And yeah, severe obesity is not attractive.

Comment

Working...
                          X