Show us your ornamentals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show us your ornamentals!

I've been trying to spruce up the old yard lately. I do not have a green thumb. I actually debated selling my house because it seems pointless for me to have a yard when I don't know how to do anything with it

But selling and buying and moving in the end seemed much more stressful than just buying some plants and throwing them in the ground and seeing what happens.

Thus, a thread for ornamentals. House plants are okay too! (But I kill all my house plants)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_181647.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	143358 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_181702.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	143356 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210529_181658.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	143357
    Attached Files

Comment

• Meliai
      Meliai commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been working on a mulch bed by my patio a couple of weeks and these are a few of the plants I've planted. The first one is lemon verbena, the last one is lamb's ear. The middle is some vine but I've already forgotten what. This will not serve me when I need to look it up to diagnose why it is dying

This is a Croton Mammy but until I looked it up just now to make sure I had the name right, I've actually always thought it was Croton Mamie. Therefore I call her Mamie.

She's the only houseplant I've kept alive longer than a few months. She's probably a little over 2 years old now and I've brought her outside for the summer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210529_181711.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	143361

Comment

Leonardo DaVinci was actually Jesus Christ, the Sun.

Comment

He was trying to show the Romans rudimentary devices, to enlighten them. When they wouldn't listen, he picked up his cross, a holy symbol of love, and prophecied. They witnessed miracles.

Comment

THE SHROUD OF TURIN IS ACTUALLY THE SHROUD OF LEONARDO VINCI.

Comment

Yes, well...

Comment

Originally posted by neonspectraltoast View Post
              Leonardo DaVinci was actually Jesus Christ, the Sun.

Fair Enough......But......We Need To Know......Did He Grow Ornamentals....???...

Cheers Glen.

Comment

He was crucified for claiming that material objects contained magical powers.

Comment

Did a quick Google for you. If you plant salvia, scarlet sage, pentas, petunias, million bells and hibiscus you will increase your chances of attracting hummingbirds. If it's butterflies you're after try tulip poplar, Fraser magnolia, sassafras, sourwood, wild rhododendron, bottlebrush buckeye, Florida azalea, Carolina allspice, passionflower, wild columbine and aster. And all of that will help the bees. Surely out of all that there must be something easy to grow.

More info here:

Comment

• Meliai
                    Meliai commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! This is exactly what I need, native plants I'll have a hard time killing 😁

It all looks good! I think yeah, much harder to kill outside plants. They WANT to grow. I am not very technical about it and take the same kind of approach... Throw them in the ground and see what happens.

Roses have been on my mind because next year when the field is official and I have money and time for it, I want to put roses in parts of it. I like grass when it's all sprinkled in primroses, too. I will have more for this thread in the future, I hope :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
                    It all looks good! I think yeah, much harder to kill outside plants. They WANT to grow. I am not very technical about it and take the same kind of approach... Throw them in the ground and see what happens.

Roses have been on my mind because next year when the field is official and I have money and time for it, I want to put roses in parts of it. I like grass when it's all sprinkled in primroses, too. I will have more for this thread in the future, I hope :-)
                    When I first moved into my house I inherited a few rose bushes. I killed them 😅 I really enjoyed pruning them but I didn't really do anything with the soil and I guess the pH was off? After a couple of years the branches started getting really thorny and the roses were growing in much smaller than they were supposed to be and then they died off one by one. I am a murderer of plants. I am not compatible with roses

Roses would look mighty fine in your field !

Comment

Originally posted by Meliai View Post

When I first moved into my house I inherited a few rose bushes. I killed them 😅 I really enjoyed pruning them but I didn't really do anything with the soil and I guess the pH was off? After a couple of years the branches started getting really thorny and the roses were growing in much smaller than they were supposed to be and then they died off one by one. I am a murderer of plants. I am not compatible with roses

Roses would look mighty fine in your field !
                      Okay but now I feel I'll have to read more about roses because I still just go with this "Ahh it's easy, they WANT to grow!" method and I probably don't know things that they need

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post

How Big Is This Field......And Will It Require Regular Mowing........???

Cheers Glen.

Comment

Originally posted by GLEN...... View Post

How Big Is This Field......And Will It Require Regular Mowing........???

Cheers Glen.
                          The field is 2 and a quarter acres but fisherman is buying half and we'll split it down the middle.. so I'll only have to worry about an acre..
                          In the shirt term we're going to let a woman put some of her cows on it :-) let them mow for a while. But yes once I start with roses etc.. guess it'll need mowing.

Comment

Working...
                          X