Define trauma!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define trauma!

Trauma to me means something deeply troubling or disturbing, very uncomfortable, often something very scary, creepy, or frightening, that sometimes leaves a person with PTSD and makes life hard to function.

What are some other ways to define trauma?

What are your thoughts on trauma?

My thoughts are: rarely is trauma ever a good thing unless it teaches us valuable lessons, makes us stronger, gives us new coping skills, or increases our tolerance to pain and suffering.

Do you concur?

Trauma is crippling, but you can't see it or define it. Sometimes you can't even talk about it, for one thing, because you avoid reliving it.

Comment

It gives you amnesia.

Comment

Originally posted by neonspectraltoast View Post
        Trauma is crippling, but you can't see it or define it. Sometimes you can't even talk about it, for one thing, because you avoid reliving it.
        Interesting you use the word "crippling."

I'm writing a letter to someone, and just used the words "crippling nightmare!"

Comment

Neat. I love it when we sync up.

Comment

It has happened a few times. My favorite time that happened was when you said " Mussolini's hunt for red october", and you didn't realize that Mussolini conquered Rome (final March on Rome October 28) in october. And his political enemies were called "The reds."

The other one I really liked, was when I submitted a picture of Buddha looking like a clown, and you had just posted right before that, that Buddha doesn't like women, and I wasn't aware you posted that, until after I submitted my picture of clown Buddha!

I highly doubt stuff like that just happens by mere chance or coincidence alone.

Comment

Also, after saying " nightmare", next video I watch on YouTube after posting it is:

On that YouTube the word "NIGHTMARE" flashes across the screen!

My surname and Mussolini are alternatives for "John, Jack, Jacob"..."John Jacob... His name is my name too" is a song from "Cute Purple Dinosaur".

Cute Purple Dinosaur Roman numerals equation = 666

Before knowing that, I called Mussolini's spirit animal, "a dinosaur from Mars", at treefort forums, a long time ago.

There is a stone dinosaur next to some stone obelisks at a park near my apartment, and I named the dinosaur Mussolini , and have some times prayed before it, before knowing the cute purple dinosaur = 666 connection, or that the John Jacob song comes from barney.

Also the Beast of the Apocalypse is supposed to reign from the "city of seven hills", and Mussolini's headquarters was in the " City of Seven Hills". Click image for larger version  Name:	The-headquarters-of-Mussolinis-Italian-Fascist-Party-1934-small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	207523

The Beast of the Apocalypse is supposed to miraculously recover from a fatal head wound. Mussolini got shot in the face point blank range and recovered like it was nothing.

I think it has little significance in the end, but I do sometimes wonder, if there are spiritual entities, or God the Omnimax, has a sense of humor and is joking around playing tricks!

Comment

neonspectraltoast
                Are you actually a sociopath, or do you just say that sarcastically, jokingly, or not serious?

Comment

I just got called a sociopath and it sounded better than "Senior Member".

Comment

• Vanilla Gorilla
                    Vanilla Gorilla commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that was funny!

• Tropical Breeze
                    Tropical Breeze commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ^^ Agree, that made me chuckle.

i think trauma is most usually, but not always, preceded by some physical event/action. This could be war, being in a bad accident, attacked, molested, raped, or anything of the sort. I'm not sure if I think death of a close loved one is actually trauma, but I know it can make the person left here feel as though they have been through something traumatic.

My thoughts on trauma are that we all will always look for some reason. We will tell ourselves there IS a lesson to be learned, some dang reason for this godawful thing we've been through. In my own life, there were certain times and certain people I was involved with that truly shaped my life to be as it is now. At one time, I woefully longed for what "may have been"...and I'm so so so so immensely glad things turned out as they have.

I've come to question if there IS something good that will come from all trauma, but I can see even against my will that according to one's reaction - and patience - to the event, the trauma, there can be soul-building and good things to come.

I think PTSD is definitely caused by trauma, but its more than that - and I be damned if I can think of a thing good enough to justify someone having to deal with PTSD.

Comment

Interesting. I was trying to define what it means to be traumatized a few months ago. Wondering if this was the case with me in some ways. But the way traumatized was defined seemed pretty extreme. So i would say no.

Originally posted by ill Duce View Post

My thoughts are: rarely is trauma ever a good thing unless it teaches us valuable lessons, makes us stronger, gives us new coping skills, or increases our tolerance to pain and suffering.

Do you concur?
                    Yeah, i guess if some growth comes out of it, it can be a blessing in disguise.

Comment

I think it's generally defined not by the specific event but how your response to that event, or event(s) shows up later. Something can be traumatizing to one person and not really effect another person.

I had a weird.. a triggering event, I guess, which led to what i can only describe as a PTSD episode a couple of years ago. Never thought of myself as a traumatized person but that was an eye opener.

Trauma has been something I've thought about a lot since then. I think a lot of people are affected by trauma and don't even realize it. And parents can pass their own issues onto their kids through intergenerational trauma without being totally conscious of it.

Sucks we live in a world where people have to go through some of the things they have to go through, but I do think finding meaning in and consciously healing from trauma can be an enlightening process

Comment

Originally posted by Meliai View Post
                        Never thought of myself as a traumatized person but that was an eye opener.

Trauma has been something I've thought about a lot since then. I think a lot of people are affected by trauma and don't even realize it. And parents can pass their own issues onto their kids through intergenerational trauma without being totally conscious of it.

Yep, can relate. I never have identified as having experienced "trauma" but lately I've wondered if i just dismiss my child self's experiences, just because now when I look back I see it in context. And it doesn't seem that bad, now. But it felt intensely bad then, and some experiences led to lifelong behaviour and thought patterns.

​​​​​​I do think realising that, and acknowledging that it was traumatic at the time, has been instrumental in moving past those patterns.

So I guess I define "trauma" as something that derails you from being the most emotionally healthy version of yourself, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post

Yep, can relate. I never have identified as having experienced "trauma" but lately I've wondered if i just dismiss my child self's experiences, just because now when I look back I see it in context. And it doesn't seem that bad, now. But it felt intensely bad then, and some experiences led to lifelong behaviour and thought patterns.

​​​​​​I do think realising that, and acknowledging that it was traumatic at the time, has been instrumental in moving past those patterns.

So I guess I define "trauma" as something that derails you from being the most emotionally healthy version of yourself, maybe.
                          i agree with this definition

funny, I've almost had the opposite experience. Even as a kid I had this sense of...being proud of being strong and resilient? And carried that into adulthood with me, up until the ptsd episode. Then I was like. Oh.

now i can look back and see that resilience as a coping strategy and can see that even though it didn't feel intensely bad at the time, it was and I was still internalizing it. Which led to lifelong behavior and thought patterns. same experience there lol

Comment

• Meliai
                            Meliai commented
                            Editing a comment
                            re-reading, actually maybe not so opposite

• Jessica
                            Jessica commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No, I see what you meant :-)

I can't remember anything. I very nearly have succumb to the pain. All my memories are tainted.

Comment

Working...
                          X