Coping and dealing with Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coping and dealing with Anxiety/Panic Attacks

Some helpful hints and advice from anyone else who also suffers from this dreadful condition.

Happily I have not had a major one in while, but it's a really fucked up feeling when it does.

For a while about 6 months ago, it got so bad that i became a shut in and refused to leave the house except to check the mail/mow the lawn etc.

And yes, maybe it is karma for me being such an asshole, but there is no need to sink the boots in.

This is a genuine cry for help/assistance.

I used to take medicine for my anxiety. I stopped once I turned 18. I won't take pills again. I learned to deal with it by simply talking and staying active. Also if it gets really bad. I'll smoke a bowl to help calm myself down. Usually by certain triggers will cause it. And I'll be good for a while. So far it has been good.

Comment

I don't feel I have "attacks" of anxiety.. or panic attacks.. but I do fairly often get physical sensations of anxiety in my stomach, for no identifiable reason.

I find swimming in cold water helps. Or just the shock of cold water. Cold showers. Cold baths. But people are either into this or not.

A visual exercise that seems to help with most difficult emotions, anger, sadness, anxiety.. is I picture the emotion as if it's a physical thing I can hold in my hand. Like a cartoon firefly or something. I just imagine holding it, and think.. that's the anger, that's the anxiety.. and it really does feel to me like the emotion "leaves" my head. instead of being overwhelmed by this "bigger than me" sensation.. I'm holding it.. I'm bigger than it.

Comment

I found that switching from who I perceive God to be was helpful. For instance, abandoning the idea of eternal damnation can be helpful for anyone because it makes God look like the epitome of Asshole.

When I found out Denise Naslund was in my life Click image for larger version

Name:	DyAoSzZUcAABS3z.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	89000 loving me without conditions, and was answering some of my prayers (and providing signs and coincidences that confirmed it wasn't all in my head) that was actually the biggest help I have ever had.

When I found out Benito Mussolini was a Dictator and Caesar of a "Roman Empire" in the world of the dead (that I had been praying to before knowing who Mussolini was) strengthened me a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rafbf26248420479dfb4f5f3b3e76cfaf.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	89001 Click image for larger version

Name:	R6c600c237037298be1f32fb4596d4e93.png
Views:	85
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	89002

Discovering the more than 2,400,000 soldiers of Yasukuni shrine greatly strengthened me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ru2hXu8St7wZ_15CfA4owJ_lxHeMh6VwwZJTf5N3_dE.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	89003
        The Soldiers of Yasukuni shrine didn't have fear on average, because they learned to love suffering and death so much that they were able to fly over 3,800 kamikaze planes into American ships and guide suicide submarines and big torpedoes with soldiers inside guiding them to their target.

I think panic and anxiety is something we get in the habit of learning. Some of it comes from giving too many shits about our image in other people's eyes or being unloved, unwanted, or abused to the point we never had security or peace, which leads to chronic fear.

Trying to be superficial, fake, and hide things, or living a dishonest life can also cause a lot of anxiety, fear, and panic.

Also, curses and blessings are a thing. I'm not going to call it Karma, but living a life that is chronically selfish or sadistic will haunt a person both in this life and the next one.

Being a drug addict or alcoholic can also be the cause of much anxiety and panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
          I don't feel I have "attacks" of anxiety.. or panic attacks.. but I do fairly often get physical sensations of anxiety in my stomach, for no identifiable reason.
          i had that basically my entire childhood. as an adult, i've learned to control it much more. being a pothead for several years also seemed to help rewire my brain a bit. but also, that's part of the reason i'm such a good worker; i've learned that one of the best ways to keep out the anxiety is to just stay on top of my obligations so that there's never any unfinished business looming over me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post

I find swimming in cold water helps. Or just the shock of cold water. Cold showers. Cold baths. But people are either into this or not.

A visual exercise that seems to help with most difficult emotions, anger, sadness, anxiety.. is I picture the emotion as if it's a physical thing I can hold in my hand. Like a cartoon firefly or something. I just imagine holding it, and think.. that's the anger, that's the anxiety.. and it really does feel to me like the emotion "leaves" my head. instead of being overwhelmed by this "bigger than me" sensation.. I'm holding it.. I'm bigger than it.
            I think general shocks to the system help with anxiety. I am sure a cold shower might help, but it's not worth it for me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Undies View Post

i had that basically my entire childhood. as an adult, i've learned to control it much more. being a pothead for several years also seemed to help rewire my brain a bit. but also, that's part of the reason i'm such a good worker; i've learned that one of the best ways to keep out the anxiety is to just stay on top of my obligations so that there's never any unfinished business looming over me.
              oh yes, that definitely helps. and also don't get involved in any online drama/arguements, lol

it's actually fairly recently that i seem to get it frequently, without any discernable cause

walking is another simple thing that always helps me.

Comment

Originally posted by Youfreeme View Post

I think general shocks to the system help with anxiety. I am sure a cold shower might help, but it's not worth it for me lol
                ahaha : ) yes i remember your opinion on cold showers from a Hip thread actually, because it made me laugh.
                it was something about "why would i do that when there are things that are also good for me that don't feel fucking terrible

Comment

• Youfreeme
                  Youfreeme commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haha yesss that was me

I'm really fascinated by the idea of cold as a therapeutic tool. Have you guys heard of Wim Hof? He's an athlete from Asmoland who has basically made a spiritual practice out of being cold.

I have a low tolerance for the cold myself, but sometimes I use his breathing method to help me tolerate a cold shower for a minute or so. Every second of it is terrible but I do always feel a lot better afterwards

Comment

Anyways meditation has changed my relationship with anxiety. I attach no importance to that gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach anymore. Sometimes it's there but it doesn't really mean anything. It's nothing more than an uncomfortable sensation. Meditation has also helped a lot with the overthinking and rumination that makes anxiety worse.

Also exercise. I would be lost without exercise.
                  And cleaning is always good for a coping mechanism as well. It keeps you busy and when you're done you have an organized and inviting space to relax in.
                  Last edited by Meliai; 02-03-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• niftypebble21
                    niftypebble21 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love cleaning up and re-organising : ) I've just spent past few hours most of this morning sorting out my wardrobe removing all the clothes I've collected over many years that I don't wear anymore then organising them into piles that are still in good worthy condition to eventually take to the charity shops and then clothes that are so worn out that unless I can think of something creative to do with them I'm trying to stop being so attached and just simply throw them away.

Here is an interview with "the Ice Shaman" Wim Hof, who I mentioned above. If anyone is interested. I find him so fascinating. Silly dutchman. He's wearing a winter hat indoors but hangs out in ice cold water for fun 😂

Comment

Best thing to do is to go to your gp and get a referral to see a shrink who can help you with your mental illness

Comment

Lots of things scare me at first, but then I grow to love them. Sometimes, I think I'm dying. At first it scared me. Now, I love it.

Just like sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is my bitch now.

And so will all of you be.

Comment

singing also reduces feelings of anxiety, for me

Comment

Originally posted by Meliai View Post
                          Here is an interview with "the Ice Shaman" Wim Hof, who I mentioned above. If anyone is interested. I find him so fascinating. Silly dutchman. He's wearing a winter hat indoors but hangs out in ice cold water for fun 😂
                          oooh, i'm already enjoying listening to this. thank you for posting.

here is a beautiful girl i would definitely be friends with:

Comment

• Jessica
                            Jessica commented
                            Editing a comment
                            ^ i'm pretty sure actually it was someone on the forums who showed me this

• mallyboppa
                            mallyboppa commented
                            Editing a comment
                            that Bra must be made of carbon fiber ?? I was waiting for her nipples to pop But Noooooo
                        Working...
                        X