Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather live alone in a beautiful countryside or ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you rather live alone in a beautiful countryside or ...

... work hard and live in the city around the people you love? Why?
    "The embers of our past lives lie smouldering within us awaiting the winds of remembrance to fan them in flames of reality." Dax.

City, for sure. Or I suppose ideally I would be in a beautiful countryside home just outside the city. I just have spent too much time in small towns and those places are toxic as fuck.

Comment

I'm citified but I do like the idea of living in the country at some point

Comment

I've done both and always miss one when I'm doing the other.

Comment

I'm ready for the city again, but my kiddo would prefer the country. So I'm hoping to find a rural area just outside the city. lol
          This would be good so if I get a band started, we can get away w/practicing loud and not piss anyone off.

Comment

The latter.

I need a harmonizing civilization in proximity of The Proud Boys, BLM, The Boogaloo Bois and Antifa.

Comment

I have fantasized about living in a secluded area alone. Different environments: desert, secluded beach, farmland, rainforest. Realistically i don't think i can or at least it would be a very huge adjustment that would take quite a while to get use to. Lived the city life all my life. Large and medium size cities. I don't even own a car, so use to having everything close by. Alone in the city has been my life. Its a pretty good life.

Comment

I have a problem with the simplified premise. Most people I know that live in the countryside work at least as hard as city folks.
                But that apart, I go along with TD here: living alone in the city is pretty good
                I would rather live with some people in the countryside

Comment

Countryside for me. I've done both the big city high rise apartment, and the small town. I'm happy with the small town where I live. There's lots of character and charm here, and it's nice and quiet. Plus, it's not commercialized and well known as a highly desirable place to live. In fact, at some point I aim to move further into the countryside, as I'm basically in the suburbs.

I've seen what happens to towns that get hyped up as the best place to move to; they soon lose their charm and it transforms into something totally different. Losing everything that made it great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dax View Post
                    ... work hard and live in the city around the people you love? Why?
                    do only city people have family near and work hard?........arent all those people in the countryside ''loved''...... you seem to have added ''people you love'' into the query?.......maybe allow for more variables or not everyone could even answer this question honestly.....my 2 cents

countryside until i can no longer do it

Comment

I don't know. All I know is that small towns are annoying. Especially this one with its heightened aelf-importance.

Comment

We left Florida for jobs in metro Atlanta. Moving 360 miles meant $20 per hour MORE than I was making in Orlando. For my wife it was $30 more. However, we had no interest in living IN Atlanta. Nobody in their right mind lives inside the circle, I've known this since I lived there in the 80s.

So both of us are really suburban people. We even went to the same Junior High school (12 years apart) and our parents worked for Disney (shocking, I know). I have taken a couple of extended contracts that had us living in Albany, Madison and Charleston (WV), so we have had city life on the lower medium size scale and liked it until Spring, when all the Harleys came out of the garages.

We've had this house in West Georgia for over 20 years and have considered selling and moving more rural several times. Georgia has a lot of counties, more than most states. So there are all kinds of duplicate services problems. Some counties deal with this by fielding an army of compliance and code officers to bilk the residents for having too many bird feeders. My former assistant and her husband actually made the rural move buying 20 acres and putting a trailer on it while they prepared to build a massive house designed by an architect for $5000, it looked like a citadel.

Then the county code guy shows up, salivating for the fees that would be levied for so much square footage. He started with the septic system. They wanted to put the bigger one in, sized for the house to come. However, if they did that, they would start paying taxes for the non-existent house because it was considered the beginning of construction. You rarely see Andy Griffith, but you see lots of inspectors and commissioners who tell you what fees to pay. It's why so many people leave rural life.

And Florida is even worse. They lure you in with that "Florida doesn't have a state tax" bit, but they don't need it because they have far more clever ways to reach into your wallet. Concrete block houses are required to have termite certificates, and Florida has regular termites, nothing exotic or rock crushing.

</tangent>

Comment

i dont think i could be happy again living in a city........many condos in toronto have a maintenance monthly fee higher than my rent....and they still need the mortgage.....i could never afford that...and would feel horrible paying it if i could afford it

Comment

Been A Country Boi All My Life.

Sold 800 Acres Back In 2014..7km's From Town, And Moved Another 7km's Further Out

Onto 5 acres.

Total Of 14km's To Town.....Usually Do That In 15mins Depending On Traffic.

God Willing I Hope To Stay Here For Many Years To Come.....

Cheers Glen.

Comment

Originally posted by GLEN...... View Post
                              Been A Country Boi All My Life.

Sold 800 Acres Back In 2014..7km's From Town, And Moved Another 7km's Further Out

Onto 5 acres.

Total Of 14km's To Town.....Usually Do That In 15mins Depending On Traffic.

God Willing I Hope To Stay Here For Many Years To Come.....

Cheers Glen.
                              when you had sheep......did you use a dog for herding and etc?......a llama for protection?....my doctor has 5 great danes watching her sheep......800 acres is huge.....an atv?....

Comment

Working...
                              X