On being a "poet".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On being a "poet".

An interesting man and an interesting stance in life.

"I say that one must be a seer, make oneself a seer. The poet makes himself a seer by a long, prodigious, and rational disordering of all the senses. Every form of love, of suffering, of madness; he searches himself, he consumes all the poisons in him, and keeps only their quintessences. This is an unspeakable torture during which he needs all his faith and superhuman strength, and during which he becomes the great patient, the great criminal, the great accursed—and the great learned one!—among men.—For he arrives at the unknown! Because he has cultivated his own soul—which was rich to begin with – more than any other man! He reaches the unknown; and even if, crazed, he ends up by losing the understanding of his visions, at least he has seen them! Let him die charging through those unutterable, unnameable things: other horrible workers will come; they will begin from the horizons where he has succumbed!"

Arthur Rimbaud

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rimbaud#Poetry

i can relate to that!

Comment

It is an interesting concept. I think that it needs logic to balance it out but I can definitely see the appeal. He was apparently one of Bob Dylan's big inspirations.
      Have you seen this interview of him?

An interesting young man. A very different human aspect..

Comment

My dad was a huge Dylan fan. I was listening to his stuff about the time people my age were listening to Madonna or whatever. The first Dylan song I can clearly remember listening to is Subterranean Homesick Blues. Me and my brother would listen to this until we had the whole thing memorized.

Comment

ye i've seen that interview. he's extremely cute at that point in time, haha

Comment

I have done the same thing with the same song although much more recently. :-) I still fail somewhere towards the end. Just how different the world was not that long ago. It blows my mind. I think it suits me more than this era of consumerism and disposable pre-heated ideas.

Comment

I know the words to around 50 Dylan songs and have 45 of his albums on CD I am Treefort's biggest Dylan fan,

It all started around 1968 (and a girl called Lesley )
              Last edited by mallyboppa; 06-12-2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

This is poetry !

Comment

Bob Dylan himself doesn't really explain in depth the meanings of his poetry so that leaves everyone trying to extrapolate it. In this poem for example, the most important character is Thomas Paine, an "English-born American political activist, philosopher, political theorist, and revolutionary. He authored the two most influential pamphlets at the start of the American Revolution and inspired the patriots in 1776 to declare independence from Great Britain. His ideas reflected Enlightenment-era ideals of transnational human rights." (wikipedia)
                  So the fact that the girl left him (Dylan) to go with him (Paine) is of interest. Maybe it describes a new mindset that started to flourish in America around the 60's where women started to be more independent and not follow the norm of the time (find a man, settle down, have a family etc.). Women started caring more for things like freedom and achieving their dreams.
                  Another point of interest is the fact that Paine went to Dylan and apologised for what "she had done". That is curious really. Why would he apologise? She only followed what Paine was preaching anyway. Maybe he had seen that his theories were misinterpreted or misused. Nevertheless, it is odd. What do you good people think?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeltramp View Post
                    What do you good people think?
                    Bob Dylan finished that whole album in 12 hours ! people have spent years and years trying to interpret those lyrics , What do I think ? its a good song

Comment

Originally posted by mallyboppa View Post

Bob Dylan finished that whole album in 12 hours ! people have spent years and years trying to interpret those lyrics , What do I think ? its a good song
                      This made me laugh.
                      I do often wonder if interpretation of poetry and prose is sometimes more in depth than the writer ever intended.

But I like that. I like that people take art that someone else made and insert their own feelings and thoughts into it

Comment

reminds me that once I was using songmeanings.net and someone has commented on Pearl Jam's Severed Hand that it was an anti-drug song. o_O?!

that was a defining moment for me. I realised how differently people can interpret things.

Comment

I guess you are implying that maybe there was not very much meaning in his lyrics and he just wrote about random images that came into his head. 12 hours for the amount of content he put in, is just remarkable. He claimed in an interview, that it wasn't him really who wrote the lyrics but rather a divine inspiration came upon him and lead his hand. I can somewhat relate to that although I am not a poet or a writer. However, I am always sceptical about these things. It is easy to come up with an abstract image and then try to apply meaning to it. That is cheap. I like it the other way around.
                          But in truth, I have no clue what HE meant with his lyrics (with some exceptions like "masters of war" which is pretty straight forward), I know only what the lyrics mean to me and am interested in how others perceive them.

Comment

"Afflatus"
                            one of my favourite words

In English, afflatus is used for the literal form of inspiration. It generally refers to not the usual sudden originality but the staggering and stunning blow of a new idea, which the recipient may be unable to explain.

i do believe Dylan doesn't always really know what he was talking about; i also believe the meaning you can find there is real.
                            we're all connected to each other, and so all connected to an "Otherness" too.

Comment

I would like to see "afflatus" used in a sentence J..

Also, would you take the time to explain "otherness" in this context? As in the opposite of each other? 💗💖

Comment

Working...
                              X