Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean to be "ahead of the times"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it mean to be "ahead of the times"?

I always see that. X person was ahead of their time. What does that mean to you? Precognition? People too dumb? What is it?

Originally posted by FaelixxsRevenge View Post
    I always see that. X person was ahead of their time. What does that mean to you? Precognition? People too dumb? What is it?
    I'd say being ahead of the times is merit worthy. To me I interpret it as someone who's ahead of the curve and sees things differently than others, so much so that their ideas have a lot more useful foresight than ideas of the modern norm and expectation. Many people who are ahead of their time, are often disregarded as unrealistic and occasionally crazy. It isn't until many years later that people look back and say, "Ya know what, that guy really was ahead of his time."

Comment

I think it generally means someone was unconventional for their time in thought, skill and/or behavior but then there is more of a widespread acceptance of said qualities in a future time.

Prescient would probably be the word I would use to sum up such individuals.

Comment

It means to think ahead of time.

For example your future goals.

Comment

Sometimes being ahead of its time could be a problem in the technology industry.

For example, releasing brand new technology that hasn’t been perfected. Such as an 1980s Oldsmobile V8 engine that can run in 4, 6, or 8 cylinders for fuel efficiency. At its release it was prone to malfunction and sometimes engine fires. It didn’t last long until they ended production. But today, 30 years later we now have V8s in most new vehicles that can run on less cylinders very effectively. So sometimes defective technology is ahead of its time

Comment

When I was growing up I used to set my bedroom clock 10mins faster than the actual time. The theory was I'd wake up with 10mins extra time to get ready.

Didn't work though I just slept in 10 more mins.

Comment

Originally posted by Irminsul View Post
              When I was growing up I used to set my bedroom clock 10mins faster than the actual time. The theory was I'd wake up with 10mins extra time to get ready.

Didn't work though I just slept in 10 more mins.
              my mom always did that too. she was convinced it worked the entire time i lived with her. of course it didn't, everyone knew which clocks were off and just did the math in their heads to figure out the actual time. but she swore by it for years anyway.

Comment

Alan Turing is one such remarkable person who was well way ahead of his time, and was treated like garbage by the ungrateful government at the time cause of his sexual orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampol View Post
                  Alan Turing is one such remarkable person who was well way ahead of his time, and was treated like garbage by the ungrateful government at the time cause of his sexual orientation.

That was so sad. And a great example of a person not being appreciated in their time because no one "gets it". I believe he was chemically castrated and then committed suicide because of it...

Comment

It's the people who know that lots of "the rules" are arbitrary. i was talking about this to my dad recently, regarding creativity... at school you learn rules of writing and other art forms like painting.. don't start a sentence with "And", don't use black... for instance.. and then when you grow up you realise the great artists are often the ones who didn't worry about that kind of thing and just did what they wanted.

People who are "ahead of their time" just did something they wanted to do, regardless of what the "done thing" is or isn't. They're the ones who are likely to have most impact what the future is going to be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
                      It's the people who know that lots of "the rules" are arbitrary. i was talking about this to my dad recently, regarding creativity... at school you learn rules of writing and other art forms like painting.. don't start a sentence with "And", don't use black... for instance.. and then when you grow up you realise the great artists are often the ones who didn't worry about that kind of thing and just did what they wanted.

People who are "ahead of their time" just did something they wanted to do, regardless of what the "done thing" is or isn't. They're the ones who are likely to have most impact what the future is going to be like.
                      It fascinates me to know what would encourage someone to knowingly break the rules of society. I think it's just one of those things that's enigmatic, like maybe I'll just never know. It kills me to think that there are people among us who are "ahead of their time" but they're too timid to actually act on their thoughts or feelings.

Comment

It fascinates me to know what would encourage someone to knowingly break the rules of society. I think it's just one of those things that's enigmatic, like maybe I'll just never know.

I think in a lot of cases, people look at the rules of "nice" society, and the people who make and enforce them, and realize that so much of it is a load of bullshit.

Comment

It fascinates me to know what would encourage someone to knowingly break the rules of society. I think it's just one of those things that's enigmatic, like maybe I'll just never know. It kills me to think that there are people among us who are "ahead of their time" but they're too timid to actually act on their thoughts or feelings.
                          yes! yeah i bet there are more than we'd think. We think of it and talk about it like it's this minority.. but it's much more our rightful natural state to create without boundaries.. like children do. Even the idea that it's a minority who can do it is a boundary.. people just assume they can't possibly be one of the special ones and don't even try.

It's all connected to the phrase "think outside the box", too. I think that's a skill that can be developed and taught, but children aren't. Humans basically wait for the random sparks to create fires instead of cultivating those skills in everyone. I'd love to see more learning by games in school. That's how animals learn everything.. as a game. And there are so many games that help develop original thinking, lateral thinking, abstract ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen J View Post

I think in a lot of cases, people look at the rules of "nice" society, and the people who make and enforce them, and realize that so much of it is a load of bullshit.
                            Oh I know you don't play by the "rules" Karen 😏😏

Comment

• Karen J
                              Karen J commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I believe you know a thing or two about that topic.

Someone who can look at the past, compare it to the present and then sort of predict future developments that seem crazy at the time. Leonardo da Vinci comes to mind.

Comment

Working...
                            X