Cortical Shutdown from Ketamine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cortical Shutdown from Ketamine

Researchers attempting to study Hunginton's Disease used Ketamine on sheeps and accidentally discovered an unforeseen side effect in the EEG measures. With very high doses of Ketamine, the cortical regions of the brain turn off temporarily, this phenomena could provide insight into the "K-hole" experience, a phrase given for extremely high levels of recreational Ketamine use which draw many parallels to Out of Body Experiences and other transcendent phenomena such as perceiving alternative realities/dimensions.

https://www.rt.com/news/491961-ketam...rain-activity/
    At even higher doses, more akin to those taken by recreational drug users, the activity ceased altogether, roughly two minutes after the drug was administered.

"It seems likely that the total cessation of cortical activity underpins the phenomenon known as the 'K-hole,'" the team explains.

It doesn't necessarily mean that all brain activity has stopped, just the cessation of normal electrical activity associated with regular brain activity.

"Understanding how different brain regions engage and disengage is key to understanding the function of neural networks," the authors write, providing an avenue of further study which may also help science better understand conditions such as schizophrenia.

"Ketamine-evoked changes in the EEG provide an interesting tool for studying such networks, not only in the normal brain but also in neurological diseases in which cognitive and psychiatric disorder are prominent."
    Last edited by Audiogen; 06-18-2020, 04:40 PM.

"sheeps" hehe

when they say "ketamine-evoked changes in the EEG provide an interesting tool", what does that mean in practise? how do you use that tool?

Comment

Originally posted by J Ruth View Post
      when they say "ketamine-evoked changes in the EEG provide an interesting tool", what does that mean in practise? how do you use that tool?
      It's referencing the prior sentence. They are suggesting that the changes in EEG when ketamine is administered can be used as a tool to differentiate different brain regions that are engaged or disengaged.

Comment

Test it on Asmo. 😃

Comment

Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post
          Test it on Asmo. 😃
          Pfft... They can test it on me all day. I cannot get enough of that stuff when I have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Audiogen View Post

It's referencing the prior sentence. They are suggesting that the changes in EEG when ketamine is administered can be used as a tool to differentiate different brain regions that are engaged or disengaged.
            i still don't know HOW though, the mechanics of it. this is usually the case with interesting things i read. my understanding is slightly too low to REALLY understand what they're saying, but i get the gist and so gloss over what i don't know.
            ​​​​​

Comment

i haven't done ketamine for about ten years but lately i really want to again

Comment

i still don't know HOW though, the mechanics of it. this is usually the case with interesting things i read. my understanding is slightly too low to REALLY understand what they're saying, but i get the gist and so gloss over what i don't know.
                ​​​​​
                Here's a brief rundown on EEG.

There are fine details that

Comment

i haven't done ketamine for about ten years but lately i really want to again
                  OMG me too hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Audiogen View Post

Here's a brief rundown on EEG.

There are fine details that
                    Had one done after I had the Stroke, along with three other tests. The CT scan showed it.
                    Interesting to actually see how the EEG works though.

Comment

Working...
                    X