Meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meditation

Does anyone meditate? How long have you been doing it? Do you get a lot out of it? Share your experiences.

Also, do you practice a certain type of meditation?

I love meditation; unfortunately, it's something I'm not good at on my own. Guided meditation really does it for me though. I had the option of trying it a couple of years ago in Nashville and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to let go...it was almost hypnotic and if I wasn't careful I felt I would fall asleep. I guess I had around four sessions, but I don't know of a place around here that has that type of thing. My sis-in-law suggests trying YouTube, but I haven't yet—mainly because I'm afraid I'd be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post
      I love meditation; unfortunately, it's something I'm not good at on my own. Guided meditation really does it for me though. I had the option of trying it a couple of years ago in Nashville and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to let go...it was almost hypnotic and if I wasn't careful I felt I would fall asleep. I guess I had around four sessions, but I don't know of a place around here that has that type of thing. My sis-in-law suggests trying YouTube, but I haven't yet—mainly because I'm afraid I'd be disappointed.
      I've done guided meditation on youtube before but to me those often seem more geared towards muscle relaxation with less focus on the mental aspect of meditation - which is what I wanted at the time so it worked out

I've been trying to meditate on my own the last couple of weeks whilst reading a rather profound book that teaches the way of vipassana, or insight, meditation. I'm not very good at it either, and the goal with this type of meditation isn't so much to clear your mind of negative thoughts but to learn to observe those thoughts and feelings passively as something external to yourself so you can then understand them clearly and let them go.
      it's...challenging lol. I spend a lot of time alternating between frustration at myself and trying to passively observe my frustation in a non judgemental way haha

Thats cool you did a meditation center, I might try one here once they reopen (closed for plague)
      Last edited by Meliai; 07-19-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I've done meditation on and off, nothing really recently.

The most I get out of it on it's own is some anxiolytic benefits and somewhat of a mental refresh, although I would say the refresh can be very temporary depending on external factors. However on psychedelics, meditation is beyond fascinating. It synergizes so well and I'm definitely receptive to Terence Mckenna who suggested that meditative practices are tools developed out of the psychedelic experience because aligning your body in symmetry and letting go seem to pair well with how psychedelics elicit pattern recognition and the way they affect the mind.

I've went to one seminar? that showed a meditation video from Sadghuru, who is a well known yogi. That was probably about a year ago and I tried that regimen for a few weeks. That was my most recent meditation practice.
        Last edited by Audiogen; 07-19-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I used the headspace app to do guided meditations for a bit. I found that it works well to practice and develop some techniques but I get frustrated with someone else telling me when to move on to doing something else, etc.

Comment

I don't really meditate as much as i use to. When i was younger i would meditate a lot. Mostly darkness meditation. In which i would sit in my closet, which had just enough space without feeling suffocated, and gaze into darkness with unblinking eyes. I would do the same with the sky. I would lay on my back outside and gaze at the sky. Preferably evening until dark. You feel much more calm, relaxed during and afterwards. Clears your mind so there is some mental clarity there.

Comment

I highly recommend this book which was given to me by my Norwegian guru. Though I may not reach the apex this guy can, I have used some of his routine to great value. There are things and ways I cannot achieve, but if you're able to adapt you can replace them so that they work for you.

One of the hardest things I had to get past was Swami adoration for his teacher, but I didn't have a teacher and I definitely did not "love" my guru in the ways Swami loved his. I found this highly difficult to get over. I talked to my guru about this problem, he told me not to worry about it, I would find my own path.

I did, of course it was the Runes.

So what does hindu and runes have anything to do with anything?

A lot. An awful lot.
              ​​
              Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQGwsUK_31LGV9pLTfJILzAcg8iMEXsiMwXQg&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	11658
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Meliai
                Meliai commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm going to make note of this book.
                This book i'm reading outlines this whole paradoxical nature of meditation and one of the things it mentions is...learn from a teacher but don't rely on a teacher, find your own path
                So I'm happy you were able to do just that

i've never done any sort of guided meditation. i've tried to figure it out on my own a few times years ago, but i just ended up sitting in the dark and thinking about everything.

so short answer: no, i haven't meditated.

Comment

I Did For Years...…..Collected A Lot Of "Tibetan" Bells....Panpipes....A Beautiful Singing Bowl......Prayer Rug......And A Remote Control CD Stereo For

All The Chants...….Still Got All That But For Some Reason I Can't Explain I Just Stopped...….Maybe One Day I Will Take It Up Again...…

Cheers Glen.

Comment

I have only been able to achieve meditative states through physical movement - running, yoga, weights, walking

I would like to be able to sit and meditate. I've got a very definite aim that ties in with my spiritual beliefs. I feel I can communicate pretty directly with source/God/whatever and when I ask questions(such as "is it right to do X?"), I often "hear" answers. But I don't think this is an external being, I think it is the part of me that is part of God already knowing the answer. Some questions are bigger, for example, what is the meaning of life? Is there life after death? and I don't hear instant answers.. But I get the feeling that the God part of me WILL know.. And that it's just more deeply buried knowledge. I think with questions like that, the answers are still in my own mind, but they take maybe a lot of contemplation and stillness to "hear" them. I would like to spend the time. But my thoughts wander and I get bored. Then I laugh at myself for believing that sitting and meditating could bring me answers about the meaning of life, yet still I get bored with the process. Funny little humans : )

I also believe in very brief "nowness" meditations. Like I'll just stop thinking about everything else, sometimes just standing waiting in a line, and just think "right now, right here, I'm thinking this" and just acknowledge the current inputs from all five senses. Never fails to slightly lift me. Because the miracle of our existence really is amazing every moment and most of the time we treat it as so mundane, haha
                  ​​​​​​
                  ​​

Comment

• Meliai
                    Meliai commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah i've been achieving a sort of meditative state for years from just walking in nature, observing my own feet moving forward and getting in tune with all the plants and such...but this whole sitting still thing is new to me, I wouldnt say I find it boring because it has just replaced my morning routine of drinking coffee and staring into space while daydreaming..but it's definitely more difficult to get into a meditative state (i don't think I actually have yet) than it is when I'm doing something and have something to focus on.

I dont know that you would need that stillness to find the answers you seek though, if you're open to them through other forms of meditation...they'll probably come to you one day when you're not expecting it I mentioned the paradoxical nature of meditation in my comment to irm above and I think that falls into it..seek too hard and it will slip from your grasp but just be open to it and it will come to you

• Jessica
                    Jessica commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This may be true, Mel
                    A good reminder.

I think I forget to be consciously asking the question, and I do think I need to do that. Trying to think of the answer might be seeking too hard but the question needs to be "open" in my mind, maybe

I can probably share my meditation experiences.
                  ​​​​​​
                  I don't find it particularly comfortable to sit in the positions that many do for meditation, so I decided I wanted to try while I was laying down to go to sleep. When I first started, I was a terrible sleeper, insomniac even.
                  ​​​​​​
                  So I do probably way different things to other people. I have an altar and I'm all about runes. Runes are everything. A lot of people know runes to be letters, numerals, words and associations. They usually work on 3 levels, a glyph, a phonetic sound and letters. They also work on a 4th level you don't really hear about and this is energy, a force of nature perhaps. I have great book by Edward Thorrston which details these energy patterns and how energy is distributed through each rune.

Here's the fun part. I have to say, you can get the runes but the runes need to get you. And one day they did. I just started seeing runes. I read it about years later too an identical sentence to how I'd felt. Not written runes, I mean just in nature itself both natural and man made circumstances. Within trees, grass, architecture, the ripples on a lake. I've seen them everywhere. Once you see it you start to grasp an understand of what the energies are and how they connect with one another and what those connections represent in the rune and their interpretations.

Our brains are pretty much geared to problem solving and to see patterns. The only way I could describe it is when I focus my brain can quickly and systematically determine and pick up patterns, maybe even sound frequency too and I see these runes and see the connections and can now fully appreciate as to why runes are what they are, what they mean and how they work with one another.

So when meditating I focus in on this. Before mediating I get relaxed and I stare at my favorite rune which I have drawn on a portrait card in blood red and actually, a drop of own blood for good measure. Blood red rune on a white backdrop and I stare and focus in on it. Nothing in particular, just admiring it really.

Then I lay down. Now a lotta people will tell ya all the flashes you see are all these electrical impulses in your eyes adjusting to the light. I have something thing else figured out. This third eye we always hear about. Now I believe our brains frequency and electrical impulses can open this. I focus in on the light flashes and bursts until I see the auras. It took me a period to get through this. Blue and red, see the stars, the galaxies and universe. This is what the electrical impulses in my eye do to me, my best description travelling through space very fast.

And boom. I'm out cold, asleep. And I'm not in ordinary dream mode or sleep mode. I feel fully consciously awake. I can talk to others but I cannot see them. It more feels like I'm standing in the middle of an auditorium and I can ask questions and answer and also speak freely, but I can't see who's watching or speaking back to me. It's calm, it's different but no threat. It's more of a confusing world and cloudy. Quiet. I don't get direct answers, I get riddles. Like the time I woke in a dark room and I wanted to know if this was nothing and I was told no because I was somewhere and that had to be something and I walked and I walked to try and find "nothing" and I could never find it and the voice humored me with a glowing box and I opened it and there was nothing inside but the fact that I could even determine it was empty had to be something.

In that vision I realised that as long as I'm alive, there'll never be nothing and most importantly, I will never be nothing.
                  Last edited by Irminsul; 07-21-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Irminsul
                    Irminsul commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And that's a lesson everybody should learn. 😊

• Jessica
                    Jessica commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This post was a good teacher

• Meliai
                    Meliai commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I enjoyed reading this irm.

Originally posted by Irminsul View Post
                  I can probably share my meditation experiences.
                  ​​​​​​
                  I don't find it particularly comfortable to sit in the positions that many do for meditation, so I decided I wanted to try while I was laying down to go to sleep. When I first started, I was a terrible sleeper, insomniac even.
                  ​​​​​​
                  So I do probably way different things to other people. I have an altar and I'm all about runes. Runes are everything. A lot of people know runes to be letters, numerals, words and associations. They usually work on 3 levels, a glyph, a phonetic sound and letters. They also work on a 4th level you don't really hear about and this is energy, a force of nature perhaps. I have great book by Edward Thorrston which details these energy patterns and how energy is distributed through each rune.

Here's the fun part. I have to say, you can get the runes but the runes need to get you. And one day they did. I just started seeing runes. I read it about years later too an identical sentence to how I'd felt. Not written runes, I mean just in nature itself both natural and man made circumstances. Within trees, grass, architecture, the ripples on a lake. I've seen them everywhere. Once you see it you start to grasp an understand of what the energies are and how they connect with one another and what those connections represent in the rune and their interpretations.

Our brains are pretty much geared to problem solving and to see patterns. The only way I could describe it is when I focus my brain can quickly and systematically determine and pick up patterns, maybe even sound frequency too and I see these runes and see the connections and can now fully appreciate as to why runes are what they are, what they mean and how they work with one another.

So when meditating I focus in on this. Before mediating I get relaxed and I stare at my favorite rune which I have drawn on a portrait card in blood red and actually, a drop of own blood for good measure. Blood red rune on a white backdrop and I stare and focus in on it. Nothing in particular, just admiring it really.

Then I lay down. Now a lotta people will tell ya all the flashes you see are all these electrical impulses in your eyes adjusting to the light. I have something thing else figured out. This third eye we always hear about. Now I believe our brains frequency and electrical impulses can open this. I focus in on the light flashes and bursts until I see the auras. It took me a period to get through this. Blue and red, see the stars, the galaxies and universe. This is what the electrical impulses in my eye do to me, my best description travelling through space very fast.

And boom. I'm out cold, asleep. And I'm not in ordinary dream mode or sleep mode. I feel fully consciously awake. I can talk to others but I cannot see them. It more feels like I'm standing in the middle of an auditorium and I can ask questions and answer and also speak freely, but I can't see who's watching or speaking back to me. It's calm, it's different but no threat. It's more of a confusing world and cloudy. Quiet. I don't get direct answers, I get riddles. Like the time I woke in a dark room and I wanted to know if this was nothing and I was told no because I was somewhere and that had to be something and I walked and I walked to try and find "nothing" and I could never find it and the voice humored me with a glowing box and I opened it and there was nothing inside but the fact that I could even determine it was empty had to be something.

In that vision I realised that as long as I'm alive, there'll never be nothing and most importantly, I will never be nothing.
                  Do you believe in Ley lines and places of power irm ? (and to everyone ) I have slept on and visited a few Anglo Saxon Burial mounds and there is definitely an energy in these places ! I also believe we have forgotten (as a race ) more than we will ever learn again
                  Last edited by mallyboppa; 07-21-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Irminsul
                    Irminsul commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes definitely! I especially believe most important ancient structures were built on such lines and are actually is specific alignments. I'm actually reading a book on it now called The Sacred Network. 😊😊

Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post
                  . My sis-in-law suggests trying YouTube, but I haven't yet—mainly because I'm afraid I'd be disappointed.
                  If you don't like one guided meditation, you could always just try another. Maybe there's a way to look up the guided meditation that you checked out in Nashville?

"I like big butts and I can not lie"
                  - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Comment

Originally posted by Audiogen View Post
                    a meditation video from Sadghuru, who is a well known yogi.
                    Strictly speaking, sadhghuru just means "true guru". There's really no one guy named Sadhguru, but there's a guy named Sadhguru Jagi, and I think his followers often just call him Sadhguru.

Comment

• Audiogen
                      Audiogen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh ok, but it's the guy who populates the entire page on a youtube search

• OP1
                      OP1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I think he's well known, and his followers call him that, and he's got a lot of youtube videos, so it makes sense that you'd only see his name on the page. It's kind of like if you searched for McDonald's, and you only saw results for a major fast-food chain, but there were people with the last name McDonald before the fast-food chain, and there might be restaurants or shops named McDonald's unrelated to the chain.

Originally posted by Meliai View Post
                    I've been trying to meditate on my own the last couple of weeks whilst reading a rather profound book that teaches the way of vipassana, or insight, meditation
                    What book are you reading?

You might want to check out this web site:
                    https://www.dhamma.org/en-US/index

They offer free 10 day Vipassana retreats. I've never gone to one, but I've heard good things about them from more than one source.

Comment

Working...
                    X