Solutions to vehicle tyre microplastic pollution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solutions to vehicle tyre microplastic pollution

We hear a lot about single-use plastics like bottles and packaging but tyre wear is a big problem.

Our govts don't give a shite about plastic .
    There needs to be laws against uneccessary plastic eg supermarkets who wrap fruit a vege in plastic.
    It's actually worse than 10 year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlion Pickett View Post

Our govts don't give a shite about plastic .
      There needs to be laws against uneccessary plastic eg supermarkets who wrap fruit a vege in plastic.
      It's actually worse than 10 year ago.
      there are some notable improvements in the UK. Sainsbury's (where I tend to shop) has eliminated all the bags that you put fresh fruit and vegetables in, and you have to bring something yourself. that's even better than switching to paper, really. there are things like that happening.. ban on plastic straws..
      but then it's totally eclipsed by single use masks and a million other things, i agree.

this IS one where governments have to take control. you can't expect the general population to solve it (although they can do as much as they can, vote with wallets, etc). like you say, everything comes in plastic. needs to change from the top.

Comment

• Jessica
        Jessica commented
        Editing a comment
        governments don't give a shit because of oil company money, most likely.
        Last edited by Jessica; 12-10-2020, 11:40 AM.

Its gonna be a combined effort of course. But yes, with an important role for governments.

The problem about both plastics and microplastics though is that there is no solution in sight. Banning plastic straws and eliminating plastic bags are a tiny tiny bandaid solution. Its not a solution for microplastics at all.
      Even if all plastic bags and straws would be forbidden, our plastic garbage will only increase in the coming decades. And a large part of it will degrade into microplastics.
      There has been bio degradble plastic invented but it apparently is no viable alternative for existing plastic packaging, I think mainly because of costs. Not sure if that's the only issue though.

Comment

yep. well. vehicle tyres are are a really good place to start, since so much of that must end up quickly in waterways.

and why the fuck is anyone still wearing polyester or even poly-blend clothing. Yuck on so many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post
          yep. well. vehicle tyres are are a really good place to start, since so much of that must end up quickly in waterways.

and why the fuck is anyone still wearing polyester or even poly-blend clothing. Yuck on so many levels.
          Microplastic were also used in toothpaste, they used to even advertise it on the packaging (not with the term microplastic though :P). Now they don't advertise with it anymore, but that does not necesserily mean its also actually produced without now..

Silly humans. No challenge to become a misantrophe. No worries, I am happily also taking notice of many other humans and their efforts. But still, goddamn... we do not deserve to be managers of this Earth (a role we have assumed ourselves of course, and has now become a neccesity in some ways because of our own combined actions)

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post

there are some notable improvements in the UK. Sainsbury's (where I tend to shop) has eliminated all the bags that you put fresh fruit and vegetables in, and you have to bring something yourself. that's even better than switching to paper, really. there are things like that happening.. ban on plastic straws..
            but then it's totally eclipsed by single use masks and a million other things, i agree.

this IS one where governments have to take control. you can't expect the general population to solve it (although they can do as much as they can, vote with wallets, etc). like you say, everything comes in plastic. needs to change from the top.
            The real waste/pollution is in extraction of raw materials and the production process, too. The impact that the end consumer can have is very minimal, unfortunately. Still, I try to avoid plastic whenever I can (which isn't nearly as often as I'd like).

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpcmY9kvcUC4k5I1hOczsbYkzCADBUKi42nQ&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	65393

Comment

Working...
              X