X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Do you?

Why or why not?

I believe in it to an extent. Now I don’t exactly believe it in it’s literal phrasing; that 2 people will fall in love and know they are the one as soon as the first eye contact. But I think that if the 2 people hit it off very quickly in the first few minutes of meeting each other with great enthusiasm, that is essentially love at first sight.

This actually happened with me in my first true romantic relationship. We met at my friend’s college party. We never had a class together and never spoke to each other before. But the party was the first time I laid eyes on her and gave her my full undivided attention. And within a few minutes we were making out in the living room on the couch while the party was going. It soon became like we were the only ones at the party. And we fell in love. She was the one that got away.

I do believe there are people who can embody everything we're passionate about, or speak to us, even with the tone of their voice...in a way that is just...

I dare not even say. But I don't know if that's love. Well, I mean, it is love, but is it romantic? And if you want it to be romance instead of an education, is that wrong?

I'm often too hasty in my obsessive tendencies. It's bad for others to put them on such a pedestal, and I have that annoying trait that is so common in beta males, forcing women onto a throne...

I'm the kind of guy who will repeat ad nauseum "I really care about you" like who am I trying to convince? And it is myself, for love has been sliced to the nucleus in my heart...or brain.

I feel like, in reality, I'm just supposed to be the guide...the one who assists, not "is relatable." I may just be too alien. If some woman really loved me, like, truly...at this point...I'm not sure I'd turn her away even if she was ninety-years-old.

Could anyone love me at first sight? That's what I'd love. To be loved by someone like that. But I'm not one to push the issue if "the other" doesn't feel that way. I can handle rejection. I mean, not without any bitterness whatsoever, but as far as "will I survive" goes, that's never been a question for me.

I can say...if I were a girl...you'd be my type, 6. No homo.

Comment

• neonspectraltoast
      neonspectraltoast commented
      Editing a comment
      Did I go too far, here? I'm always worried, like OCD, that I've said something totally horrible. I hope you guys didn't mind.

No, I don't.

I do believe in that *something* at first sight, but I think it's entirely sexual, and if it happens to be with someone you can fall in love with for real, that's wonderful and makes the whole thing feel magical. But it most often turns out you have nothing much in common with the person, and no special bond. The exceptions don't mean anything.

However, when I experience it I still enjoy the game of "maybe we've known each other in another life, maybe we're soulmates" :-) like, you can get old enough to not believe in Santa, and still feel the magic of finding presents under a tree.

​​​​​

Comment

Nah that's just you getting drunk on your own neurotransmitters

Actually I do think you can pick up on certain vibes at first sight that can relay to the brain this person might be a compatible match, beyond simple lust and attraction. But there is a lot that goes into long term love and compatibility so I wouldn't call that love at first sight..more like recognizing that the potential for love is there

Comment

• 6-eyed
        6-eyed commented
        Editing a comment
        Long term love sprouts from simple lust and attraction though

I believe there's a state which can be fairly adequately called as such, yes. Same with 'having a crush' on someone, which basically involves a lot of projection of ideals on another person, but is a real state of being regardless :P

Comment

I think I do ! not a forever lasting fairytale Love but yeah I have had that feeling

Comment

• 6-eyed
          6-eyed commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. I think fairytale "happily ever after" is BS. Married couples go through all sorts of phases of unhappiness together.

'Happily ever after' does imply it was reached after another phase
        When 2 people are too old and tired to continue arguing they reach this fairytale state :-D

Comment

• mallyboppa
          mallyboppa commented
          Editing a comment
          "Ever after" is another way of saying "Forever more "

and then they die.

Comment

• mallyboppa
          mallyboppa commented
          Editing a comment
          You been hurt Mate ?

• Jessica
          Jessica commented
          Editing a comment
          i was trying to be funny

• Din Djarin
          Din Djarin commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol

Your a better writer than comedienne Jessica

Comment

• Jessica
          Jessica commented
          Editing a comment
          haha!

• Jessica
          Jessica commented
          Editing a comment
          well, good.

• Din Djarin
          Din Djarin commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure yet, I have to see more!

Jessica

It's confusing. You heterosexuals always seem to try make it about love rather than lust, even though, what 3/4 of the time those relationships start from being drunk and horny
        And the other 1/4 of the time it's like musical chairs and you got to hurry up and land a partner before you get old, smelly and bored

That does sound cynical doesn't it, and yet it's what happens

Comment

i don't even believe in love at first month. that shit takes a long time.

like others have said, you can immediately lust and it may work out in the end, but that's not actually love, not at the beginning anyway.

Comment

Sexual compatibility at first meeting is a thing and chemistry at first meet is a thing and those are both an awful lot like love, so it's easy to confuse them. They are also both useful prerequisites to romantic love. But yeah, love love slowly fills the gaps between chemistry and friendship, forming a solid bond. But it takes time.

Comment

that is (if ) we all know what love is ??

Comment

I would say yes, I definitely know people can experience something beyond lust at first sight (meeting). I'm sure we could quibble over definitions and semantics, which may change my opinion but I don't know of a clear demarcation for what constitutes love. Intuitively, I think of marriage, but some marry for other reasons such as money and I've known some marriages (including dating) which were shorter lasting than other's committed relationships without the contract.

I think laying out a definition is probably the only way for meaningful discussion to be had on the topic, otherwise it could very well be argued that love in general is a rather arbitrary concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Youfreeme View Post
                  But yeah, love love slowly fills the gaps between chemistry and friendship, forming a solid bond. But it takes time.

So love is epoxy resin

Comment

• Jessica
                    Jessica commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lol
                Working...
                X