Travel experiences-best and worst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel experiences-best and worst

What are your favorite and least favorite cities, towns, or trips? And what did you love/hate about them? Stories encouraged.

Favorites- Boston, San Diego, Mannheim, Germany
    worst- Cincinnati and Mogadishu

will elaborate more soon

Comment

Boston is your favorite, really? I'd love to hear why. I'm not the biggest fan.

Comment

I liked Boston a lot. For a big city, it still seemed small, walkable, manageable, safe, clean, but still interesting

I really don't think I have a best and worst travel experience. I just love being on the move. I'm always happy being somewhere unfamiliar and meeting new and interesting people, even if the place is objectively awful : p

Comment

i don't know that best place and best trip are necessarily that closely related. hawaii is hands down the best place i've been, but the trip was just average.

i don't think i've actually had a really bad travel experience. i've had bad travel moments of course. like freshman spring break in daytona, my car got towed and i had to walk to the impound lot, which looked close on a map but was actually like a four hour walk. and i didn't put on sunscreen, so i ended up burnt to all hell after that. then later that same trip, we stopped in charlotte on the way home, went to a gross club that had puke all over the floor, then tried to buy weed from some guy on the street that turned out to be pine needles when we got back and opened the bag. the guy who bought it then insisted that we go confront the guy, so we ended up drunkenly walking all over downtown charlotte looking for a shady dealer who was obviously long gone. still even with those bad experiences, i think that was one of my better trips overall.

best was probably senior spring break in st pete. the whole trip was great, and it was capped off with a random surprise acid trip on the last night, where i somehow lost all my friends and ended up just wandering to the beach and watching the sun come up.

Comment

Originally posted by Meliai View Post
            I liked Boston a lot. For a big city, it still seemed small, walkable, manageable, safe, clean, but still interesting

I really don't think I have a best and worst travel experience. I just love being on the move. I'm always happy being somewhere unfamiliar and meeting new and interesting people, even if the place is objectively awful : p
            same. i forgot to mention in my previous post, i even had a great time in detroit. and this was back before they even started trying to fix it up, when downtown literally looked like those pictures you see of eastern europe after the fall of the soviet union.

Comment

Worst I had was in Egypt. Did a trip down the Nile in a cruiser from Aswan to Luxor. When we were done we were to fly back to Cairo. When we got to Luxor airport I could immediately see a shitload of trouble coming. The "departure hall" was jampacked and all announcements were being made in Arabic.

So as I looked around me I could see that the boarding passes everyone held was like a different color. Ours were blue but others were red, yellow and green. So whenever an announcement was made over the public address everyone in the room got up and made their way to the door. When we reached the front of the line the guy there said: "no no no not you yet" and we went and sat down again. This happened about three times until finally we were allowed to board our flight.

On reaching Cairo (if you ever vist Egypt don't fly Egypt Air ... you have been warned!) we were already late for our flight. So we had to first fill in some forms. Okay, but my readers had lost a lens somewhere in Karnak already so Daxette had to fill in our forms. Now she has the most atrocious handwriting I have ever seen and the dude took one look at them, shook his head and decided to fill them in himself. "You plane is due to leave ten minutes ago," he informed us, "so run."

Run we did and when we boarded the shuttle the driver, cap tilted over his eyes, feet up on the dash seemed to be sleep. When we frantically told him we were late, he muttered; "No no no worry. Sokay." Ten minutes later another couple got in and also suggested that we should head for our plane. "No sokay." he replied. Eventually when three other people got into the shuttle he started the engine and drove us to where our airplane was waiting.

So when we boarded the flight attendant said: "Oh sorry but we've given your seats to another couple." Before I could say anything she added: "So you can fly busines class with us tonight. Welcome aboard!"

"The embers of our past lives lie smouldering within us awaiting the winds of remembrance to fan them in flames of reality." Dax.

Comment

I am not well travelled. Florida is about the only place I've visited outside of California without the pretext of a Baseball Tournament or funeral.

San Francisco is my favorite city. It's got Music, Tech, Sports, and Hippie scenes. Basically all my interests, as well as some cool landmarks. I guess LA has most all that as well but it feels much more like a Concrete Jungle there. I tend to feel a pervasive sense of dystopia while I'm in LA until I'm safely in some simulacrum like Disney Land.

A story... I played on a traveling Baseball team during a High School Summer and we had a tournament in Eugene, Oregon. It was a rather unremarkable city but it certainly wasn't bad. Anyways, between and after games we would often go around the city. A girl working at Coldstone Ice Cream in the mall caught my eye. I came back the following day on my own and asked her out, we chilled after she got off work and then she drove us around and eventually was like "What if we got married?" and I totally thought she was joking, but she drove us to the city clerk, we talked to the guy and he said that we needed parental consent. I asked to be dropped off after that.

Comment

Boston is a decent city. I don't think there is a city i dislike. To me they are either exciting, interesting, cool places to hangout, decent, or boring.

Originally posted by Youfreeme View Post
                  What are your favorite and least favorite cities, towns, or trips? And what did you love/hate about them? Stories encouraged.
                  Do you have a best and worst traveling experience story?

Best was definitely Zambia. Love Africa and miss it. The people, the wildlife, nature, experience in cultural diversity, and adventure activities.

Worst. I wonder if this will be my worst. I'm staying here temporary with the possibility of living here for good. But i haven't had much luck. Like i really like the environment. The outside environment is great but its the places i'm staying at in which i haven't had much luck with. I want a place where it feels like home and yet i get stuck dealing with bullshit. This is my third place i'm staying at and am moving to a fourth soon.

Comment

my favourite town is home

its where most of my friends and family are

Comment

I would like to experience the vibe of LA, Boston and San Francisco for sure! I would add the legendary city of Detroit but I guess that was better experienced in the 70s or something
                      New Orleans seems (still) great to visit as well.

My best city trip was probably to Istanbul. Best other trip likely a roadtrip to a festival like Sziget (Hungary) or through the UK with friends (via Canterbury, Oxford, Salisbury)

Comment

I think my only really bad travel experiences were being sick right before traveling. Puking my guts out all night hours before boarding a flight to Japan, and getting food poisoning a couple of days before leaving Mexico were particularly bad in that sense.

In terms of memorable trips, hitchhiking around in New Zealand for a couple of weeks with almost no money at all was one of the most liberating and exciting experiences I've had. Super stressful at times, but also really enjoyable. Met some super fun and interesting people who picked me up on that trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Din Djarin View Post
                          I would like to experience the vibe of LA, Boston and San Francisco for sure! I would add the legendary city of Detroit but I guess that was better experienced in the 70s or something
                          New Orleans seems (still) great to visit as well.
                          I just got back from New Orleans!
                          For an international traveler in particular, I think it's a pretty perfect city if one wants to see both the absolute best and absolute worst about the United States

Comment

• Din Djarin
                            Din Djarin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Wow, for how long? And was stuff open there? Busy?

Din Djarin just a couple of nights. Everything is open, the only real restriction is bars stop serving at 11

It wasn't really busy when I was there, but I heard the Saturday before I arrived, it was crowded almost to Mardi Gras levels ? glad I missed that. I was there on a Sunday and Monday

Comment

Originally posted by Meliai View Post

I just got back from New Orleans!
                            For an international traveler in particular, I think it's a pretty perfect city if one wants to see both the absolute best and absolute worst about the United States
                            Did you get ripped off? My buddy and I got ripped off trying to buy weed.

Comment

Working...
                            X