Door dash, Uber eats, postmatez, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door dash, Uber eats, postmatez, etc

I spelled postmates incorrectly on purpose. So many delivery apps now. I haven’t used one cause I think it is crazy to pay someone to deliver food to me. What do you think?
    I even seen a report of the driver sampling the food on the way. Crazy
    I wanted to see how easy it was to get a job with these companies so I applied as an experiment. I now work for door dash, grub hub and Instacart. Have not made a delivery, probably won’t. Too much wear and tear and I already work enough.

Do they charge extra for delivery? I don't live close enough to a town to know.
    I have thought about getting side work as a delivery person...always assumed they just made their hourly pay from the store, plus whatever tips they get from the customers.

I've been at parties where we ordered pizza delivery, it was nice not having to drive to town, intoxicated and dressed less than appropriate lol..
    Most places I know of, put a seal on the box before it leaves, so you'll know if someone opens the box.
    But I would imagine that some don't

Comment

Originally posted by Amerijuanican View Post
      I have thought about getting side work as a delivery person...always assumed they just made their hourly pay from the store, plus whatever tips they get from the customers.

I've been at parties where we ordered pizza delivery, it was nice not having to drive to town, intoxicated and dressed less than appropriate lol..
      Most places I know of, put a seal on the box before it leaves, so you'll know if someone opens the box.
      They do charge extra. These companies pick up food from almost any restaurant.

Comment

Oh I see...never knew they have that type of arrangement these days.

Comment

Oh I see...never knew they have that type of arrangement these days.
          There are a ton of these type of app companies now.

Comment

Originally posted by Geonagual View Post
            I spelled postmates incorrectly on purpose.
            why, is there some specific issue with that one?

that's actually the only one of the three companies in the thread title that i've never heard of before.

i don't know about these 3rd party apps, but i worked for about 8 years in the pizza business. about 2 years as an actual delivery guy.

in those cases, there was a delivery charge. this was about 10-20 years ago (fuck i'm old) but back then the charge was around $1.50 to $2.00 per delivery. of that, roughly half would go to the driver and half would go to the company.

back in those days, delivery drivers usually made minimum wage, plus mileage per delivery (that would be the roughly half of the delivery charge that goes to the driver), plus tips. i was one of the very few drivers i know who actually made more than minimum wage. this was back when minimum wage was $5.15. i started at that, but after proving my worth my boss actually bumped me up to $6.00 without even telling me. at that point, i was working about 50 hours per week, and i was actually making more money than i made in any job until i finally passed it up a year or two ago. even when i became general manager of a pizza place, my actual take home income was about the same as it had been when i was just doing deliveries.

unfortunately, things have changed since then. when minimum wage suddenly jumped up to $7.25 (or something like that) most of the pizza places reacted by finding various ways to fuck their drivers out of money. from what i saw, the better places stopped letting drivers work overtime, or even full time. people who had been delivering 40 hours a week for 30 years were suddenly only allowed to work 29 hours per week. the other option that most places ended up adopting was treating delivery guys like waiters. so basically their pay dropped from whatever minimum wage was, to half of what minimum wage was, and they were required to claim enough of their tips so that the government wouldn't accuse the business of underpaying them.

so tldr: food delivery used to be a great job, but now it kind of sucks.

Comment

I've been using a couple of apps lately and the charges etc are fucking ridiculous. Especially if you are a ways from the restaurant or it's a quick delivery. Seriously $20 for a breakfast wrap and a cup of coffee including delivery fees and tip.

C/S,
              Rev J

Comment

I use Bite Squad about once a week. It is stupid expensive, you have to pay a delivery fee on top of other random fees that aren't clearly defined, plus a tip. It usually adds $15 - $20 to the cost of the actual food.
                but when I am so tired I don't feel like cooking or going out to pick something up, it seems worth it

Comment

• Dr. Doom
                  Dr. Doom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed...sometimes you just got to treat yourself to a break.

I use Grubhub to order food to pick up

The one time I did delivery it was because I had a $5 off coupon and the delivery was free. The food was horrible though so I never did it again. But some days even I dont wanna cook

Comment

Working...
                X