Best job you ever had!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best job you ever had!

When I was still an undergrad in college, I was forever looking for ways to make an honest living. One day I spotted an ad looking for people w/sexy voices that gave good phone-talk, and had no problems chatting with anonymous strangers (male and female - or anything in between... haha), and I figured what did I have to lose?

People often told me I had a sexy voice (no lie) which surprised me because I was always so shy and everything. But the phone was something I felt totally comfortable with. You can be whatever you want to be. Plus I had a great imagination, and I could change the sound of my voice in a heartbeat.

End of story, I was very popular (w/men and women) , and made a ton of money. Plus it was fun as fuck! I got to create sexual fantasies for lonely people, and this made me feel like I was doing some good in the world. Thing is, I could never do this in real life. Only on the phone. Trust me, I am as about as painfully shy and tongue tied in person as can be - but the phone is a magical place where anything can happen. And I made a lot of things happen! I was a sex god!

Now it's your turn: What's the best job you ever had?

Click image for larger version

Name:	50ShadesOf Grey4.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	106547

Newspaper boy but only if I had one van driver in particular or it sucked.

Panhandling is usually my favorite job because there's more greeting people with smiles and smiling and lots of lessons learned like I can't be racist cuz most of my benefactors are minorities, and many of them Muslim women.

So Islamaphobia isn't fair anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ill Duce View Post
      Newspaper boy but only if I had one van driver in particular or it sucked.

Panhandling is usually my favorite job because there's more greeting people with smiles and smiling and lots of lessons learned like I can't be racist cuz most of my benefactors are minorities, and many of them Muslim women.

So Islamaphobia isn't fair anymore.
      Matthew Mussolini I did that! It was fun in the summer, but sucked in the winter. Lots of snow and freezing temps in Chicago :-)

I wasn't a good panhandler: 6 hours and only 10 bucks to show for my efforts. If you can play an instrument, people seem to like and respond to you more...

Comment

Originally posted by PacificDude View Post

Matthew Mussolini I did that! It was fun in the summer, but sucked in the winter. Lots of snow and freezing temps in Chicago :-)

I wasn't a good panhandler: 6 hours and only 10 bucks to show for my efforts. If you can play an instrument, people seem to like and respond to you more...
        No way! 6 hours and only ten bucks?

I panhandled 1 hour today and made 16.

That's higher than usual but I feel terrible for panhandlers that make less than minimum wage. You weren't even making 5 an hour. Damn!

Comment

No way! 6 hours and only ten bucks?

I panhandled 1 hour today and made 16.

That's higher than usual but I feel terrible for panhandlers that make less than minimum wage. You weren't even making 5 an hour. Damn!
          I'm totally shy and tongue tied. Even eye contact can be a challenge. Most people just passed me by while I was still attempting to engage them. To their credit, at least they did say a hasty, "sorry, dude. I'm broke myself."

But we all know you are a wizard w/words ;-)

Comment

I'm totally shy and tongue tied. Even eye contact can be a challenge. Most people just passed me by while I was still attempting to engage them. To their credit, at least they did say a hasty, "sorry, dude. I'm broke myself."

But we all know you are a wizard w/words ;-)
            I don't engage them unless they engage me first, just a wave. I did have some one throw water on me once. At another time someone threw pop on me.

Both times they were black people, but I could focus on those two times I was wronged or I can focus on all the black people who gave me donations, so I'm going to choose to focus on the latter.

I confess I used to be racist. Not in a hateful way. Just in the "some races are on average more intelligent, civilized, and compassionate than others" kind of way. And actually, panhandling is what cured me of that.

So, in that sense, panhandling was a better job for me than any job I've had, because other work wasn't teaching me such valuable lessons.

I had a severe distaste for Islam because of what is in the Qur'an and the violent lifestyle of the Prophet Muhammad. I wouldn't say I was Islamaphobic , because I wasn't afraid of Muslims killing me. I did hate the Religion though.

Through panhandling and seeing the disproportionate amount of Somalian Women in hijab giving me donations with a meek , humble, loving smile, I realized out of love and respect for them, I need to respect Islam as well.

So, on second thought, panhandling has definitely been the most meaningful job I ever got paid for. On certain days it was the best paying work I've ever had, as pathetic as that sounds.

Comment

...So, on second thought, panhandling has definitely been the most meaningful job I ever got paid for. On certain days it was the best paying work I've ever had, as pathetic as that sounds.
              Pathetic is not the word I would use. Humble suits me better :-)

P.S. Where the hell is everybody? I love TF, and I want it to thrive big time...

Comment

My current job is pretty awesome. I get to be creative and fix designs for people. And I make really amazing light panels. It’s so satisfying when someone lets you know they love my work

Comment

I only really Know what I do now But to be fair it does cover a lot of skills Best job I have been on doing what I do was in China in about 1998 -99 everything paid for (best hotel ) Food drink all in and £1000 a week wages had some good trips working away but that was the best

Comment

Originally posted by mallyboppa View Post
                    I only really Know what I do now But to be fair it does cover a lot of skills Best job I have been on doing what I do was in China in about 1998 -99 everything paid for (best hotel ) Food drink all in and £1000 a week wages had some good trips working away but that was the best
                    Sounds like heaven on earth! :-)

Comment

• mallyboppa
                      mallyboppa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The hotel had a swimming pool Karaoke bar and a ten lane bowling ally it was great

Sounds like heaven on earth! :-)
                    mallyboppa Damn. You've lived a charmed life big time! :-)

Comment

I can't be the only one dying to hear PD's voice now... : )

My current clothes&gift shop job is the best I've had. It stops for five months over winter, it doesn't require I wear shoes, I love talking to customers.. both children and adults.. I especially love the extra special interactions that happen every now and then, where a customer and I exchange genuinely meaningful ideas/conversation.. My boss has become a good friend.. I have a lot of influence now over what we sell.. I can sell my driftwood stuff and books in there for a smaller percentage fee than would be usual.. I have a lot of time to read.. The seagulls nest on the roof outside and I get to watch the chicks grow up. And it's all right by the sea which means I can walk on the beach or swim and then be in work ten minutes later.

Comment

There are a lot of really nice things about my job now--I get to help people, I don't have to sit at a desk all day, it is physically and mentally engaging, every day is different, too. There are some drawbacks though-it's physically risky, burnout is high if you aren't good at compartmentalizing your life, etc. BUT I get to make a noticeable difference every day so I consider myself fortunate.

Comment

I've had other fun jobs though, and they required a lot less risk and responsibility and there is something to be said for that lifestyle. I worked at an upscale event facility and got paid a lot of money (at the time) for VERY little effort, and I got to eat amazing food, meet celebrities and other cool people, and just slack off with my coworkers, who were also a colorful and fun group. Plus working at weddings is a blast, everyone is happy!

Downside: I now despise the song "Don't Stop Believing" because it reminds me of 2 am sloppy drunk people who won't get out of the way so I can clean up after them.

Comment

Originally posted by Youfreeme View Post
                          I've had other fun jobs though, and they required a lot less risk and responsibility and there is something to be said for that lifestyle. I worked at an upscale event facility and got paid a lot of money (at the time) for VERY little effort, and I got to eat amazing food, meet celebrities and other cool people, and just slack off with my coworkers, who were also a colorful and fun group. Plus working at weddings is a blast, everyone is happy!

Downside: I now despise the song "Don't Stop Believing" because it reminds me of 2 am sloppy drunk people who won't get out of the way so I can clean up after them.
                          So are you gonna keep it a secret about which celebrities you met? Haha. I'd love to meet Courtney Love - just so I can tell her Kurt Cobain put her to shame big time.

Comment

• Din Djarin
                            Din Djarin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Don't give in to that, think about your karma PD!
                        Working...
                        X