Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you ever insulted instead of being rewarded for a good deed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were you ever insulted instead of being rewarded for a good deed?

When I was 12, I was walking home from school one day when I spotted a wallet in front of a parked car. I picked it up, and you could tell it was heavy w/cash and credit cards.

I didn't know what to do at first? But my brain finally started to work, and I opened it to look for an I.D. Turned out the owner lived right in front of where I was standing.

Now my confession. I was staying w/my older sister and niece at the time, and we were a month behind in the rent, plus basically living on mac and cheese. I went into the hallway and counted the money in the wallet: $400 dollars. A lot of money back in my youth (our rent was $150 per month, to give you some idea).

Yes, I thought about keeping the money (and chucking the wallet back in front of the car where I'd first found it). But I thought maybe if I was honest and returned it to the owner, he might be grateful and give me a small reward? Hell, even $10 bucks would have been much appreciated!

Long story short, not only did I not get any kind of reward, but the crazy dude accused me of being a thief! He ordered me to get the hell away from his apt. or he was gonna call the cops ASAP. Speechless is not the word. I got the hell out of there, and made a solemn promise to keep the next wallet I was lucky enough to find on the street. Especially when I had family I cared about that were hungry and about to be evicted from their homes.

The world can be a brutal and coarse place for the honest and poor.

P.S. I never found another wallet...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wallet2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	107928

That's friggin nuts!

I've offered five dollars to a bum and he told me "Fuck You!"

I let a guy stay the night at my apartment who claimed to be homeless and he ran off with my wallet, phone, and backpack.

Comment

Originally posted by ill Duce View Post
      That's friggin nuts!

I've offered five dollars to a bum and he told me "Fuck You!"

I let a guy stay the night at my apartment who claimed to be homeless and he ran off with my wallet, phone, and backpack.
      Matthew Mussolini You're way more trusting than I am. I do good deeds as best I can, but no way am I letting some random homeless dude spend the night in my apt. What I usually do is find an all night diner (especially if it's cold and raining), and buy the dude a hot meal and just listen to him tell his life story.

Mother Teresa always said people are more hungry for love than something to eat. I do that as best I can. Plus I find so many of these life stories from the homeless are truly amazing. One day I might even collect them in a book! All proceeds will (of course) go to a my favorite homeless shelter.

P.S. That crazy dude that was so ungrateful when I returned his lost wallet was a rare exception. Most people appreciate it when you are concerned about them. I didn't let his arrogance influence me in any way :-)

Comment

Working...
      X