Things you believed as a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you believed as a child

What are some of the darnedest things you believed in when you were really little?

When I was really little, I was at the ocean and watched the sun set over the ocean’s horizon. I literally believed the sun sank into the ocean, and that was how daytime and nighttime worked.

When I was 12, the older kids would play a prank on me.

This railroad storage container station at night was guarded by "Old Man Jake"
    On a few weekends we would all go and creep up to the tracks and then everyone would come running back in my direction screaming RUN!!!
    I'd run everytime, until one night I said "this was bullshit, there's no Old Man Jake"

So the following night I took point and walked right up in doubt this was bullshit.

Little did I know.... that just for this special occasion with me calling BS on Old Man Jake, one of my friends dad's dressed up like "Jason" from the 1st friday the 13th movie with the potato sack over his head and wearing blue coveralls yelling "come here you little son of a bitch" and came running after me and the guys from the railroad track station.
    Pee was going down my leg as I ran, and I ran passed some of the guys that were even behind me who were in on it. I was scared beyond belief.

They all laughed so hard, some couldn't catch their breath from laughing and were bent over crying.

The hard way to learn that Old Man Jake was made up.

Comment

The Boogeyman (6 eye) was a night time fear

Santa was a a big deal too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete's Draggun View Post
        On a few weekends we would all go and creep up to the tracks and then everyone would come running back in my direction screaming RUN!!!
        this reminded me of the time when i was about 14, in the backyard at a kegger, and everyone came running from the front screaming "run, the cops are here!!!" so i took off with a pretty big group of guys, and ended up walking a good couple miles through some fields before we were able to call someone to come give us rides home. then we found out the next day that the cops never even came, they just happened to pull over a car down the road from the party.

Comment

I remember trying to argue the logic of the fact that the newsreader on TV must be able to see me, since I could see him.

Comment

• Din Djarin
            Din Djarin commented
            Editing a comment
            That could have been me :P

• Jessica
            Jessica commented
            Editing a comment
            Din Djarin Haha! yes ;-)

Slightly off topic:

My lil cousin (now 26) watched the towers come down on TV back 9-11-01.

Every single time the TV news would show the towers falling, my lil cousin kept thinking n believing more n more different towers were falling around the country.

He couldn't sleep for weeks n months.

Comment

• Din Djarin
            Din Djarin commented
            Editing a comment
            If that would have been really happening it must have been.... fawlty towers

badum ptsss

Originally posted by Pete's Draggun View Post
          Slightly off topic:

My lil cousin (now 26) watched the towers come down on TV back 9-11-01.

Every single time the TV news would show the towers falling, my lil cousin kept thinking n believing more n more different towers were falling around the country.

He couldn't sleep for weeks n months.
          I read about this being a common thing in young children, and why you shouldn't expose them to news channels after any kind of catastrophe that is going to be reported on for days, with repeated footage, etc.

Not an unusual thing for them to believe

Comment

Originally posted by 6-eyed View Post
            What are some of the darnedest things you believed in when you were really little?

When I was really little, I was at the ocean and watched the sun set over the ocean’s horizon. I literally believed the sun sank into the ocean, and that was how daytime and nighttime worked.
            Always knew you had it in you to become a flat earther :-D

Here's a good one too: when I as a kid first learned of global warming I thought it was (partly) caused by the direct heating of houses, like the warmth leaking out because its badly isolated, instead of indirectly by the way it is produced.

Comment

I don't know about believed, but I remember being concerned that if we kept making new roads, the whole planet might end up concreted. I remember picturing it, vividly, from a space-eye view.

Comment

Working...
              X