ECOSIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECOSIA

i don't really understand why everyone who cares about a healthy planet wouldn't begin using Ecosia, no matter what other search engines they are attached to, for whatever reasons.
    the most common response i've come across is skepticism regarding if they really do what they say they do.
    what a strange point to jump to, in my opinion.
    humans seem to accept bad and evil companies as a necessary evil, and then judge good and worthwhile ones by a higher standard.
    "oh yeah, but they're not perfect because they're doing X, Y or Z"
    Okay.
    But the only way we can turn capitalism into a helpful power is to support companies who support higher ideals than fancy yachts.
    Christian Kroll is the boss of Ecosia, which donates 80% of its profits to tree-planting projects.

Yes. Could you imagine if companies use their profits to help clean up the earth. I always think about that garbage patch in the middle of the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas. Plastic trash but no one no country wants to clean it up

Comment

• Din Djarin
      Din Djarin commented
      Editing a comment
      Some solid initiatives are being taken regarding that plastic problem. But microplastics seems the real challenge

I never heard of Ecosia btw. It's a search engine? How would they make money off of me?

Comment

I don't think trees are the actual problem

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/con...limate-change/

Rainforests on the other hand....

Comment

I think there are two key points as to why people would be hesitant to use it aside from the legitimacy of how it's used as it claims.

The first Kroll mentions himself, in that people are generally satisfied using the default search engine which their phone or computer browser comes equipped with.

The other is that people do not trust advertisements. Between phishing scams, giving up personal data and targeting ads, many people make it a point to block ads or at least are wary about clicking on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Din Djarin View Post
          I never heard of Ecosia btw. It's a search engine? How would they make money off of me?
          Adverts

Audiogen yep, it's fair enough. but if we moved towards an ethical capitalist future, we would be able to trust clicking ads, and adverts would all be from ethical companies for ethical products.

Only the corruption in the world is holding us back from a better form of what we already have. One step at a time. Any company trying to do the right thing has my support, even if it is being let down by the companies around it.

You have made me think I might write to them and suggest they only run adverts for ethical companies. I don't click ads, but every so often, on Ecosia, I will, because I support the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by J Ruth View Post
            i don't really understand why everyone who cares about a healthy planet wouldn't begin using Ecosia,
            because they never bothered to tell anyone that they exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Undies View Post

because they never bothered to tell anyone that they exist.
              Yeah, I only found them through word of mouth.. I mentioned it several times on Hip. When I wrote that sentence the one in my head was probably actually "I don't know why everyone ignores me when I keep mentioning the positive ideals of this search engine company"
              ​​​​​​Answer: because I didn't make a whole thread

Comment

Working...
              X