Next time there is a pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next time there is a pandemic

...how do you think the world will react? Will it be like we've done a drill this time and so know what to do next time? Will there be more resistance after people have suffered economic impact of Covid lockdown? How long can a government pay its citizens not to go to work?

What plans do you think world leaders will make for a future pandemic? Do you, personally, have any plans for that scenario happening again?

I think we'll probably forget about it, unless it happens again in the very near future
    I've read some accounts of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 lately and realized how much of that isnt very well known and just became lost to human knowledge over time. I know of the Spanish flu of course and that a lot of people died, but as far as day to day life and how people reacted to quarantine, how the economy was affected, etc, never heard anything about it until this pandemic hit.

I think this will be the same, one day normal life will resume and everyone will talk to their kids and grandkids about that time they worked from home or lost their jobs and didn't have school for months and the unemployment rate was staggering and there were food and supply shortages, but said kids and grandkids won't really pay attention or think about it happening again. And when it does happen all the hard lessons will already have been lost (if they were ever really learned). And governments will probably respond as cluelessly (some of them anyways) as they've responded to this one
    Last edited by Meliai; 06-18-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

they called ww1 the war to end all wars ! so you Guess what will Happen

Comment

If the next pandemic happens in another century, the robot overlords will instruct people what to do and people will be extremely furious as they know the robots making decisions won't be affected by it. Kind of a glib answer but might make for an interesting sci-fi story.

I have not thought about a future pandemic because I am not confident that we are out of the woods with the current one and haven't had a moment of reflection. I know society is starting to open up but I'm concerned about the possibility of a second wave hitting in the fall or winter. Part of that concern entails the government and medical community response, both have been inconsistent and at times seemed downright clueless. I'm not too optimistic that in half a year they'll have figured it all out should another wave hit.
        Last edited by Audiogen; 06-18-2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if the world reacts more stupidly than now. I was shocked and surprised by the reaction to covid. Like a herd of elephants panicking and running scarred over a little mouse. I understand this might sound a bit extreme but its how i see things. I'm still in shock now about how easily people are manipulated by the media over what's going on now. I can't help but to think that i'm living in a world surrounded by morons who are incapable of actually thinking.

Do you, personally, have any plans for that scenario happening again?
          No. Luckily it only had a positive effect on me thus far. Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case for many.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropical Breeze View Post
            I'm still in shock now about how easily people are manipulated by the media over what's going on now.
            i wish i was in shock over it. but they've done a good job of slowly ramping it up so it's not even obviously visible. it's like if you have a friend who gets fat; if you see them every day you hardly even notice, but if they're gone for a year and then suddenly come back 100 pounds heavier it's obvious. we see the media every day, and they've been subtly inching up their manipulation for years so that it's hard to actually perceive the difference.

Comment

I guess i don't pay too much attention to the media unless its something major. So i get caught by surprise.

Comment

I did actually install one of those Japanese style bum hoses next to my toilet

I got to the middle of the Great Toilet Paper shortage of 2020 back in march and I thought to myself; bat virus or no bat virus, why haven't I done that yet? I love those things when I go overseas

Last edited by Vanilla Gorilla; 06-19-2020, 08:13 AM.

Comment

yeah i always like a toilet that has a reachable sink so i can put toilet paper under the tap. water should be required to wash skin that has had shit on it, i agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Meliai View Post
                    I think we'll probably forget about it, unless it happens again in the very near future
                    I've read some accounts of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 lately and realized how much of that isnt very well known and just became lost to human knowledge over time. I know of the Spanish flu of course and that a lot of people died, but as far as day to day life and how people reacted to quarantine, how the economy was affected, etc, never heard anything about it until this pandemic hit.

I think this will be the same, one day normal life will resume and everyone will talk to their kids and grandkids about that time they worked from home or lost their jobs and didn't have school for months and the unemployment rate was staggering and there were food and supply shortages, but said kids and grandkids won't really pay attention or think about it happening again. And when it does happen all the hard lessons will already have been lost (if they were ever really learned). And governments will probably respond as cluelessly (some of them anyways) as they've responded to this one
                    I've seen Armistice Day films where the masks were all over the place as Americans tried to fight off the Spanish Flu. But as for learning from the past, have a glance at this for a few minutes.

This makes me wonder how long we'll let petty politics get in the way of pure science.

Comment

If there were to be another pandemic in the near future there is the possibility that people will take it less seriously; I probably fall into that category. For starters, how many people do you know that contracted Covid? How many have died? Did you contract Covid? Unless people are directly affected by a thing it just doesn't seem as real.

Another thing is Corona Fatigue. People are past ready to get back to normal, back to their jobs, school, sports and such. People that weren't directly affected by the Covid virus itself this time around are less likely to follow quarantine orders the second time around.

The governments reaction to a second pandemic might be muted as well. Our leaders see how the economy has been wrecked and would be reluctant to put the world through that again, lives be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropical Breeze View Post
                        I guess i don't pay too much attention to the media unless its something major. So i get caught by surprise.
                        i pretty much ignore the media too. but it's hard to miss the reactions of regular people you encounter who are doing what they are told. and it's really noticeable on the internet, since that's the first place people go to announce their support for whatever the media is telling them today.

Comment

^^ That's usually where i first notice such things. When i encounter people, secondly on the internet as i normally avoid political and news sections. Then i'll start getting more curious about what's going on. I've been out of work for some time so i'm probably much more unaware of certain things in comparison to before when my co-workers would bring certain stories to my attention.
                          Last edited by Tropical Breeze; 06-19-2020, 10:49 PM.

Comment

The next pandemic will be so bad that people will panic. Chaos will reign.

Comment

I think it will depend on how bad disease associated with the pandemic is. I hope we can take the lessons learned during this outbreak and apply them to the next pandemic. I don't know, something tells me that people will probably be much slower to act during the next one because they are so sick of socially isolated themselves during this one. Folks around here are burned out, restless, and just "over it".

Comment

• tumbling.dice
                                tumbling.dice commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Agreed. I've seen that where I work the last couple of weeks. At first, everyone was washing their hands every hour, using hand sanitizer after every keyboard use, wearing face masks before they ever even came through the door. Now we are all, essentially, back to "normal" even though we're still supposed to be doing all that stuff.
                            Working...
                            X