Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many funerals have you been to?

Morbid topic, sorry.
    I have never been to one. My mom and dad are dead but they donated their bodies to science, so no funeral.

5 that come to mind.

Comment

Plenty. Don't know the exact number. Last one i been to was in Jan 2018.

Comment

Enough, but my last was my last. More on principle than having an aversion to it. That would have been 2008, I think. My earliest was when I was maybe 3. I was too young to understand it, and mostly just ran around and played with the other kid or kids...memory fades.

Sorry about your folks! I may be more callous about death than most/on the surface at least, but I would really struggle if/when my parents go. :/

Comment

• Jessica
          Jessica commented
          Editing a comment
          i have to inform you.. "if" is not an option. unless you die first.

• Fun
          Fun commented
          Editing a comment
          awe! don't make it worse J Ruth ! I know. I guess I was just thinking and hoping it will be a long way off from now.

Comment

i don't know. probably around 10? several more if you count just showing up at calling hours.

personally i don't get the point of funerals, which is why i don't really know how many i've been to. they're not major events to me, more like minor inconveniences. i understand the need to grieve when someone important has died (to some extent at least, but i do move on way faster than probably anyone else i know), but funerals have no correlation to any grieving process i have anyway.

Comment

I'm 63 and my first funeral was my father's when I was almost 5.

I've been to what seems like countless numbers of funerals; but, its not actually countless. Its been a buttload though.

Comment

• tumbling.dice
              tumbling.dice commented
              Editing a comment
              My mom and sister died when I was 9 so I can empathize. I can still remember that sick smell of flowers in the funeral home. I've left instructions that I don't want a funeral for myself, or a burial for that matter. Just cremation and the scattering of my ashes.

• Meliai
              Meliai commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to you both <3 my first funeral was my dad's funeral when I was 8. I still remember the smell of the flowers too. there's this whole physical component to it, the smell and the feeling of being in the funeral home and the weather that day that hits me sometimes even still

Originally posted by Lynnbrown View Post
            I'm 63 and my first funeral was my father's when I was almost 5.
            It's can be tough to lose a parent at any age, but especially that young. Sorry to hear that Lynn
            "I like big butts and I can not lie"
            - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Comment

• Lynnbrown
              Lynnbrown commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks...its ok though. It was so long ago, and I've come to believe that things happen for a reason...granted it may not be a reason we will find out in this lifetime. I do have some memories of him, and they are wonderful. I feel his presence at times, here in this house. This was/is the home I grew up in from the time I was 3 yrs old, the home my father bought when we moved from GA back to his home community 2 acres in the country. I'm very blessed.

I think that sometimes we are lucky, and find out those "why did this or that happen" questions on this side of the great divide...but sometimes you will never see.

One.

i don't resonate with our society's death rituals. i don't want one held for me.

Comment

Originally posted by J Ruth View Post
              One.

i don't resonate with our society's death rituals. i don't want one held for me.
              Same! I think they are morbid and sad. I'm more into the Buddhist way, in Celebrating their life, efore they reincarnate into the next life.

I won't hardly go to them.

Comment

I've been to several funerals

the worst one was for my friend's 17 year old son. She stood for hours in the receiving line and greeted over 300 people and I still have no clue how she found the strength to do that. I couldn't do it.

Comment

• Lynnbrown
                  Lynnbrown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  dang :'( They would have to give me so much dope I wouldn't know where I was.
                  Lord God. How terrible.

27 .5 funerals

Comment

Originally posted by J Ruth View Post
                  Same, but unfortunately society tends to think you're an asshole if you don't go. And when people are grieving a death, it just doesn't seem like the best time to make a stand.

Comment

Half a dozen.

Always a pallbearer, never a corpse. 😥

Comment

Funerals are really for the family or the ones left behind. Whatever they want to do with me is fine. Remember me or not...whoever is left is who will decide. Sometimes loved ones want to gather and either mourn together and/or talk about a person and whatever memories they share. Sometimes this is done at a funeral and traditionally I believe the funeral is where memories and such are discussed. That is changing and there are more and more services I read about (in the newspaper) saying there will be a memorial for whoever and they give the obit.

At one time I didn't want to be cremated, but I've changed my mind on that. I even want my ashes scattered over my pet cemetery.

Comment

Working...
                      X