I Don't Understand Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Don't Understand Afghanistan

If a medieval band of primitives as brutal and stupid as the Taliban were marching across the US I'd fight to the death rather than live under their barbarism. But in Afghanistan, cities are falling left and right as the United States withdraws troops. This in spite of the fact that the citizens there know what to expect under Taliban rule.

I'm not questioning the US decision to withdraw per se, after all we shouldn't have to keep troops there forever. It's been 20 goddamn years and these fools still haven't learned how to run a small country? I didn't support the invasion back when it first started because I kind of suspected something like what is now happening. These people are just dumb. Or maybe they're cowards, I don't know.

Meanwhile, the cost of the twenty year war is around $2 trillion ($2,000,000,000,000) and 2,400 dead US service members. That doesn't include the interest we'll be paying for decades on the money borrowed to fund the operation, nor does it include the medical care that our veterans are receiving.

I've given up on US voters. I just hope that our allies remember this for next time we ask for help with some half-assed mission doomed to failure.
    A memo obtained by NPR lays out the emergency preparations being made by American diplomats at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul — including the destruction of sensitive documents and computers.

Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post
    If a medieval band of primitives as brutal and stupid as the Taliban were marching across the US I'd fight to the death rather than live under their barbarism.
    but you do have that happening

theyre call lefty woke liberals

Comment

• 6-eyed
      6-eyed commented
      Editing a comment
      True dat

stop trying to win wars you cant....ie vietnam.....

woke left wingers have nothing to do with the troop withdrawal...you guys are funny....instead of commenting on the war you comment on liberals and the so called ''woke''

Comment

• SpaceMan
      SpaceMan commented
      Editing a comment
      you've already mentioned many times that you dont bother learning anything about whats going on in the world other than listening to public propaganda radio once in a while so youre opinions on the subject carry absolutely zero weight

didnt the US fund and equip the taliban when russia was invading? we've always made our own enemies

Comment

Originally posted by onceburned View Post
      didnt the US fund and equip the taliban when russia was invading?
      The US supported the mujahideen. The taliban arose after factional infighting among the mujahideen after the Soviet withdrawl.

"I like big butts and I can not lie"
      - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Comment

We've got China over there, and I'm not sure what kinda fuck they give about personal sovereignty. Bigger problems, though they're tied together.

The American way of life is at stake, partially from forces within our own government.

We SHOULD eradicate barbarism. People SHOULD be absolutely free, barring infringing on the rights of others.

Hopefully these other nations still believe in us, cause this is getting downright dangerous. Chiang's got us by the short n curlies. Trump was part right; Biden is part necessary.

Personally I recommend a return to isolationism outside of supporting our allies, including Israel. We can't be looking to a foreign country that doesn't support our fundamental ideals as the foundation of our economy.

I'd rather live in candlelight with a ginormous fucking military.

Secret ops to stop the barbarians. I don't care if it isn't transparent. Let's fuck em up. We can. We're the best.

Comment

The American way of life is such that a guy like Spiderman, a genuinely decent man who has made some bad mistakes, isn't dead or in a gulag. He can speak his own truth.

We can't ever sacrifice that. Our honesty and compassion. We're really on the precipice of a nightmare, though.

Comment

"the problem with Afghanistan is..."

Comment

If a medieval band of primitives as brutal and stupid as the Taliban were marching across the US I'd fight to the death rather than live under their barbarism. But in Afghanistan, cities are falling left and right as the United States withdraws troops. This in spite of the fact that the citizens there know what to expect under Taliban rule.
              Seems those citizens also know how powerful the government army is without US support. And that if they themselves would fight to the death, that is indeed what they would do, die (for nothing). So yeah, its a hopeless situation for those people. Their government and army is garbage, which the US was kinda in the know of. And the Taliban is ruthless and determined to use this ridicilous opportunity. So both people and soldiers surrender out of fear and hopelessness. Ideally they shouldn't no, but hey, they likely don't wanna die for an unworthy government and unmaintainable 'peace'.

Thousands of Afghan citizens are fleeing the country a day now.. Seems the taliban have only a fragment of the original population to opress :P

Comment

I can't be the only one who doesn't "get" Din Djarin's winks.

It's like, he wants someone to be insulted, but, perhaps, realizes his opinion is ridiculous.

Enough winking. Just say what you mean. Stop trolling.

Comment

• Jessica
                  Jessica commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He's just showing light-heartedness

• neonspectraltoast
                  neonspectraltoast commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ?

Originally posted by Din Djarin View Post
                Their government and army is garbage, which the US was kinda in the know of.
                And the US has been training that army, and propping up that government for 20 years. It's shameful. And embarrassing. China and Russia will make the best of it, however. They could not care less about human rights. (Kind of like the US doesn't care about human rights when it comes to Saudi Arabia.)

Comment

• Din Djarin
                  Din Djarin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree.

Originally posted by Din Djarin View Post

"the problem with Afghanistan is..."

Is that the "Holy Hand Grenade" dude?

Comment

Comment

they let their religion corrupt their minds and are suffering the consequences

Comment

• Din Djarin
                      Din Djarin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you mean the taliban members who are gobbling up the stuff of their leaders I would say you're correct. The leaders though are likely corrupting the religion in order to gain power.
                      The citizens are a diverse bunch and on average not happy to live under taliban rule at all.

Is that the "Holy Hand Grenade" dude?
                    No, its Long Shanks (Edward 1 of England) from the movie Braveheart when he states the problem with Scotland is that its full of Scots :-D

Comment

Working...
                    X