Should We Ditch The Electoral College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should We Ditch The Electoral College?

I go back and forth on this issue. For non-Americans, the POTUS is selected by the states, with each state getting a number of votes that is proportional to its population. A majority of electoral votes is necessary to win the election.

I think we could do better, but I worry about giving voters the power to select a president...because so many of them are stupid. They are only interested in, a) mandating stuff or, b) forbidding stuff. No one cares about, c) leaving people the hell alone. So I'm in a quandary. How do we get someone who will protect the liberties of the citizens?

I'm in favor of getting rid of it just for the fact that it makes a substantial third party all but impossible.

I'm a fan of ranked choice voting, myself

Comment

Also Donald Trump was elected under our current system so I'm not sure about your second argument

Comment

Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post
        For non-Americans,
        don't you mean "for americans"? the non-americans here tend to know way more about american politics than the average american.

Comment

Originally posted by Meliai View Post
          I'm in favor of getting rid of it just for the fact that it makes a substantial third party all but impossible.

I'm a fan of ranked choice voting, myself
          I kind of favor something similar, on a national scale. Have you heard of a jungle primary? Basically, there are no separate party primaries. Instead all candidates from all parties are listed on the same ballot. The voter then choses his or hers first, second and third choice. I won't go into how the votes are tabulated...you can google that. But it gives the voter more than two choices.

Comment

No I’m not in favor of major cities being the only voice for America.

Comment

• Dr. Doom
              Dr. Doom commented
              Editing a comment
              If they do that, rural people should have their own President.

it pretty well the same here but we call them ridings...the ridings are areas based on population

we have more than 2 parties

my area always seems to vote for whoever will never get power lol...bunch of union dummies always voting ndp

Comment

Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post

I kind of favor something similar, on a national scale. Have you heard of a jungle primary? Basically, there are no separate party primaries. Instead all candidates from all parties are listed on the same ballot. The voter then choses his or hers first, second and third choice. I won't go into how the votes are tabulated...you can google that. But it gives the voter more than two choices.

I have not heard of it but I like the sound of it. Let's do it that way

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceMan View Post
                it pretty well the same here but we call them ridings...the ridings are areas based on population

we have more than 2 parties

my area always seems to vote for whoever will never get power lol...bunch of union dummies always voting ndp
                We don't directly elect our prime minister though. Our ridings are basically the same as their congressional districts.

Also, somebody sounds jealous of the union workers lol.

Comment

• SpaceMan
                  SpaceMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  unions are great...i just hate the way they push everyone to vote ndp...ndp is useless

• eggsprog
                  eggsprog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SpaceMan I mean, they are the reason that we have universal healthcare...

• SpaceMan
                  SpaceMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  it would have happened anyway...

So... how can the Canadian system have more than 2 parties in a meaningful way, and the US not? Is it mainly because of the voting of the canadian citizens or does something else matters a lot here?
                eggsprog Any idea?

And for Americans: what is the real obstruction for a third party to rise to a meaningful place in national politics? Is it merely that there isn't a good third party to vote on, or that the voters don't see the point? Because the way I see it is that if everybody who still gives a shit, but can't be bothered to vote for the dems or reps (understandable, yet pointless) could always 'waste' their vote on a third party?

Comment

• Beach Ball Bitch
                  Beach Ball Bitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We don’t really have more than 2 in many ways. Those other parties vote as a block together with one of the two major parties and really vote with the left. It is why trudeau remains in his position even after all his corruption.
                  Last edited by Beach Ball Bitch; 10-12-2020, 04:06 PM.

Getting rid of the electoral college, will that mean that large cities decide The vote and fuck the rest of the country?

Comment

• Dr. Doom
                  Dr. Doom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep. We country people are just a bunch of uneducated, redneck dumbasses.

Originally posted by Beach Ball Bitch View Post
                Getting rid of the electoral college, will that mean that large cities decide The vote and fuck the rest of the country?
                It would mean that everyone's vote would matter equally, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Din Djarin View Post
                  So... how can the Canadian system have more than 2 parties in a meaningful way, and the US not? Is it mainly because of the voting of the canadian citizens or does something else matters a lot here?
                  eggsprog Any idea?

And for Americans: what is the real obstruction for a third party to rise to a meaningful place in national politics? Is it merely that there isn't a good third party to vote on, or that the voters don't see the point? Because the way I see it is that if everybody who still gives a shit, but can't be bothered to vote for the dems or reps (understandable, yet pointless) could always 'waste' their vote on a third party?
                  At the federal level we only have two parties that form government, but we often end up with a 'minority' government in which one party has a plurality but not a majority, so they need the support of at least one other party to pass any legislation.

For example, right Liberal party formed government but they need support of either the New Democratic Party (left of centre party) or the Bloc Quebecois (Quebec nationalist party, although they haven't been pushing to separate from Canada as strongly lately).

This resulted in the NDP being able to force the Liberals to make changes to their pandemic relief legislation in exchange for support. A minority government can mean that people who didn't vote for the ruling party actually get represented, but often just means that they all bicker and we get an early election.

Comment

So no more districts and your opinion doesn’t count. Stop the voting once is crosses Ontario, in Canada because th3 election is over. It will only matter how people vote in large cities because that is where majority of the population is. The farmers wh9 supply you with food, the salt of the earth, their lives don’t matter. Their opinion doesn’t count, simply because of where they live.

Great idea. Taxation without representation.

Comment

• Dr. Doom
                      Dr. Doom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      sounds familiar.

Originally posted by Beach Ball Bitch View Post
                    So no more districts and your opinion doesn’t count. Stop the voting once is crosses Ontario, in Canada because th3 election is over. It will only matter how people vote in large cities because that is where majority of the population is. The farmers wh9 supply you with food, the salt of the earth, their lives don’t matter. Their opinion doesn’t count, simply because of where they live.

Great idea. Taxation without representation.
                    What are you talking about? When did I or anyone else say anything about changing the Canadian electoral system? We don't elect a president nor do we have an electoral college, last time I checked.

Comment

Working...
                    X