Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jessie Combs awarded land speed record

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Jessie Combs awarded land speed record

    Click image for larger version  Name:	_113089480_gettyimages-149717890-594x594.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.7 KB ID:	4505


    An American racing driver has been posthumously awarded the fastest land-speed record by a female, a feat she died trying to achieve.

    Jessi Combs died in a crash after attempting to break the land-speed record in the Alvord Desert, Oregon, on 27 August 2019.

    Her jet-powered car clocked a record speed of 522.783 mph (841.338 km/ph).

    Guinness World Records has confirmed Ms Combs, 39, was the first person to break the record in more than 40 years.

    The previous record was set by American stuntwoman Kitty O'Neil, whose jet-powered, three-wheeled vehicle hit 512.7 mph in 1976 in the Alvord Desert.



    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53173707


    841 kph, thats friggin nuts


    it was last August, but only just awarded now

    #2
    I remember her on MythBusters, one of my fave shows. She filled in for Kari Byron while she took maternity leave. I was shocked when I heard about her death.

    Comment


      #3
      i was going to say i remembered when this happened, but whatever i'm thinking about was more than a year ago. did a guy do something similar in the last few years?

      i'm curious what the male record is. i wouldn't imagine it would be much more; it's not like your penis syncs with the vehicle to make it go faster or anything. i just assume men have the actual record because 1) she wouldn't be awarded the female specific record if there wasn't a higher male record, and 2) us men are dumb enough to drive even faster than she did.

      Comment


        #4
        841 kph is nuts enough, that's in the range of cruising speeds for commercial jets 11,000 ft in the air

        Comment


          #5

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Undies View Post
            i was going to say i remembered when this happened, but whatever i'm thinking about was more than a year ago. did a guy do something similar in the last few years?

            i'm curious what the male record is. i wouldn't imagine it would be much more; it's not like your penis syncs with the vehicle to make it go faster or anything. i just assume men have the actual record because 1) she wouldn't be awarded the female specific record if there wasn't a higher male record, and 2) us men are dumb enough to drive even faster than she did.
            Same as Shirley Muldowney. She hit a few firsts, as a woman. But drag racing is not the same as land speed record attempts. Land speed is a single event that is not often repeated since the 1950s. Shirley milked dollars from drag racing for 40 years.

            The men's land speed record has not changed since the late 90s at 1200kph. However, there's no doubt she could have worked up to the overall record. It is interesting the way we do things in the world today. We still have pageants, but not for men (leastwise none that can be played in prime time). We recognize people's achievements as framed by their gender or ethnicity, but not across the board.

            Nobody calls Neil Armstrong "the first white man on the moon". It looks strange in print and sounds strange when said out loud. But no more strange than what's happening in women's sports overall. Like it or not, men are going after women's records.

            Makes me think of a song.........

            Comment


            • eggsprog
              eggsprog commented
              Editing a comment
              We do have pageants for men, but we just call it sports and politics

            #7
            So basically you're in a car with jet engines and you have to hold a steering wheel and flip a switch at the end of ten minutes. I'm not seeing what the scientific necessity is.

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by neonspectraltoast View Post
              So basically you're in a car with jet engines and you have to hold a steering wheel and flip a switch at the end of ten minutes. I'm not seeing what the scientific necessity is.
              Not even sure what the point of the steering wheel is, its not like you have any chance of not overcorrecting at 841 kph

              Comment


                #9
                That's what I was thinking. You could slowly do a really wide arc I guess, but that would decrease your speed. Seems like you could build a vehicle that just goes straight.

                Comment


                  #10
                  Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post

                  Not even sure what the point of the steering wheel is, its not like you have any chance of not overcorrecting at 841 kph
                  i guess that's the part of it that makes the record mean something. otherwise you'd stick a monkey in there and congratulate it on its record.

                  Comment


                    #11
                    I think it's too bad that someone has to die over something as pointless as this
                    "I like big butts and I can not lie"
                    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Originally posted by OP1 View Post
                      I think it's too bad that someone has to die over something as pointless as this
                      Right!
                      And the money to build that high speed death trap could go to help people that really need it.

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by Amerijuanican View Post

                        Right!
                        And the money to build that high speed death trap could go to help people that really need it.
                        Who really needs a high speed death trap built for them?

                        Comment


                        • Undies
                          Undies commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can think of a few deserving candidates.

                        #14
                        Originally posted by WritersPanic View Post

                        Same as Shirley Muldowney. She hit a few firsts, as a woman. But drag racing is not the same as land speed record attempts. Land speed is a single event that is not often repeated since the 1950s. Shirley milked dollars from drag racing for 40 years.

                        The men's land speed record has not changed since the late 90s at 1200kph. However, there's no doubt she could have worked up to the overall record. It is interesting the way we do things in the world today. We still have pageants, but not for men (leastwise none that can be played in prime time). We recognize people's achievements as framed by their gender or ethnicity, but not across the board.

                        Nobody calls Neil Armstrong "the first white man on the moon". It looks strange in print and sounds strange when said out loud. But no more strange than what's happening in women's sports overall. Like it or not, men are going after women's records.

                        Makes me think of a song.........
                        If the first person on the Moon had been black I'm fairly certain no one would call him the "first black person on the Moon". It would simply be "the first person on the Moon". Same with nationalities. John Glenn is sometimes referred to as "the first American to orbit Earth", while Yuri Gagarin is called "the first person to orbit Earth", not the "first Soviet". It just depends on who does shit first. Incidentally, in 1996 Brent Barry became the first white guy to win the NBA's dunk contest.

                        Comment


                          #15
                          Originally posted by tumbling.dice View Post

                          If the first person on the Moon had been black I'm fairly certain no one would call him the "first black person on the Moon". It would simply be "the first person on the Moon". Same with nationalities. John Glenn is sometimes referred to as "the first American to orbit Earth", while Yuri Gagarin is called "the first person to orbit Earth", not the "first Soviet". It just depends on who does shit first. Incidentally, in 1996 Brent Barry became the first white guy to win the NBA's dunk contest.
                          It does get rather taxing doesn't it? I tend to agree with your assessment except that, when we do see a black man on the moon, he will be hailed as the first....... That's the climate we have today that we didn't have in 1969. Reminds me of another song:

                          Comment


                          • tumbling.dice
                            tumbling.dice commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I don't see anything particularly wrong with referring to people as "the first [whatever] to do [something I probably can't do]". In my informed opinion there is really no such thing as race anyway, it's just something defined by culture and that makes it important to many if not most people. If you take a population of anything, put half in one environment and half in another and don't let them interact for generations then you will get differences. But whatever, as long as people stay off my lawn I don't really care too much.

                          • WritersPanic
                            WritersPanic commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think my issue is in how so much of this is being pushed onto us instead of occurring organically. But that's an old American habit. Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic. She slept most of the way on mail sacks. She was only there to push an exciting landmark. She later went on to prove herself to be a serious force in aviation history, even without disappearing. So it's not like they flew Jane Mansfield across the Atlantic for a publicity stunt.

                            Obama, was Jane Mansfield, not Amelia.
                        Working...
                        X